Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification Request. Possibly US Infantry

Ron da Valli

Could I once again please ask for your kind assistance in identifying this uniform. I have been sent a photo from the family of Rhyl man, Percy King, who was in the US Infantry, 129th battalion, 33rd Infantry Division. They believe that it is Percy but are not 100% sure. Could this be a US uniform?

Many thanks

Kind regards,

Darryl

Percy King

Definitely a US uniform, but it's not easy to comment any further without seeing an enlarged image.

Dave

I agree. WW1 US Army uniform.

post-599-0-16715700-1419942990_thumb.jpg

As noted by all above -- certainly a US uniform.

I have a fairly longstanding interest in the 33rd Division and lots of reference materials. I also work with some frequency with the folks at the 33rd Division Museum in Springfield IL.

Would it be possible to see a bigger version of the photo?

Do you know anything more about King (for example where he was living when he enlisted, did he survive etc...) I have some rosters and unit histories that may have more information.

Chris

Note the overseas cap/garrison cap shown in Frogsmile's picture is not the typical US army wartime design it looks more like a french made version or possibly (and this would fit with the honorable discharge stripe on the tunic) a post war VFW (or similar) cap.

Edit

There is quite a good account of the 129th Infantry's war written by Lt Col Diller S Myers Jr. Its about 40 pages long and has rosters of officers, KIA/DOW/DOD, gallantry citations etc - but I do not see any mention of Percy King.

If you would like a copy of this account drop me a PM and I will see about scanning it for you.

Edited by 4thGordons

Thanks to everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

4th Gordons, I have sent you a PM. Percy S King emigrated to the USA in 1903. He settled in Douglas Illinois. He initially joined he National Guard and was called up on the 25th July 1917. He was promoted to sergeant. He died on the 1st August 1918 in France, no details of how.

Regards,

Darryl

Percy King is listed on p426 of Illinois in the World War (vol1) - just a listing

I do not find him as listed in Soldiers Died in the Great war (IL) nor "Fighting men of Illinois" but that is not all that unusual as both are fairly incomplete as lists go.

Unfortunately I do not think there was a county "Honor Roll" published but I will double check.

I assume you know that he is buried in France in the Somme American Cemetery at Bony.

I have replied to your PM and will keep looking.

Chris

AHHHA!

KING, PERCY, Pontiac, Illinois. Born October 8, 1885, England. Farmer.

Enlisted June 24, 1916, Pontiac, Illinois. Mexican Border service: Pvt., Co. F,

3 111. Inf., N. G. Promoted to Cpl., June 30, 1917. Stationed at Camp Wilson,

San Antonio, Texas. Mustered from federal service, February 21, 1917, Fort

Sheridan, Illinois. World War Service: Mobilized July 25, 1917, Pontiac, Illi-

nois. To Camp Logan, Houston, Texas, September 13, 1917. Designation of

organization changed to 129 Inf. Promoted to Sgt., November 15, 1917. Sailed

from Camp Upton, May 10, 1918, on U. S. S. Covington. Landed at Brest, France,

May 24, 1918. Engagements: Somme-Amiens Sector with Australian Corps,

July 26-August 1, 1918. Killed by shell-fire, August 1, 1918.

and with the best for last......

post-14525-0-72151200-1419968620_thumb.j

It is not a great image - the original is small this (and the above write up) is from "Livingston County in the Great War" (pic p29)

I have a paper copy and will try and make you a decent image when the light improves..there is an electronic version of the book here at the UIUC Library.

Chris

Chris,

What can I say? That is fantastic! Many, many thanks for all your help, I will pass all this on to his family, they will be delighted.

Many many thanks

Kind regards,

Darryl