Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

COMMEMORATION MEDAL - NAVAL?

Bala

Many thanks horatio2 for your help.

I got the record from the National Archives - which listed his ships but not his medals. You mentioned that he had a trio of medals - is there a medal card for him somewhere?

Thanks again

bala

The cross looks like a religious emblem (dove = Holy Spirit) but he was apparently Church of England.

Ron

Are you implying that the C of E is not religious?? :D

The cross looks like a religious emblem (dove = Holy Spirit) but he was apparently Church of England.

Ron

These things were often swapped or given to friends

e.g: Father Finn who died at V Beach on 25th April 1915 had previously given a medal of Our Lady of Mount Carmel to the Rev Foster, a friend and fellow chaplain, but not an RC

It may have helped too, as Foster survived the war

regards

Michael

Are you implying that the C of E is not religious?? :D

Not at all! I just tend to associate the wearing of religious medals more with the RC tradition.

Though it didn't seem to do Father Finn much good.

Ron

In any event, the bird is heading in the opposite direction to the medal's hanging loop

i.e. it's heading down

if it was the dove representing the Holy Spirit, would it not be heading up, towards the loop?

[i'm by no means an expert here; like LS Davis, I'm CoE]

regards

Michael

Dove head downwards = descending, it's fine (even in the CofE tradition as far as I know (being a non-conformist myself)).

It bears some resemblance to the French Huguenot (Protestant) cross although in that the dove is usually beneath the cross http://www.huguenot-church.org/the-huguenot-cross.html - but it seems the sort of thing that might have been treasured for other reasons than faith, e.g. given by someone met in France, who knows?