Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Terminology

alantwo

I have come across two anaesthetics used in operations on board HMHS Assaye described as "CH3CL + Ether" and "CHCL3". I take them to be some form of chloroform but can anyone tell me something about them and what the letters stand for? Is there any difference between the two; would they have been used for different types of operation for example?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Alan

combinations of inhalant anesthetics were commonly used at that era, if available. The theory was that adequate anesthesia would be maintained, with fewer side effects.

The letters are the chemical formulae. C carbon, H hydrogen, Cl Chlorine.

Ron

Thanks to all for your contributions. I'm not sure I understand why a refrigerant is being used, is it simply a clerical error? But that in its self seems odd, a surgeon or nurse making the entry would know the difference. It is also recorded as "+ Ether", thus even a clerical error is strange, why have two types of anaesthetic? Thanks again, I'll keep digging.

Regards

Alan

Chloromethane is (was) not just used as a refrigerant and obviously this use is not applicable in this context.

However, it has been used as a local anesthetic, which would certainly be relevant.

SEE HERE.

(It is also mentioned in JWK's link in #2).

CGM