Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New records on ancestry UK WW1 Service Medal and Award Rolls

AndrewHadden

I expect some of you may already be aware of this,but have just noticed that some new,and useful records have appeared on ancestry,which supplement.The Medal Rolls Index Cards.The UK WW1 Service Medal and Award Rolls contain similar information,but also give details of battalions served,and occasionally fuller names.

For instance,have a group to a J.E.Hadden of the KRRC.The MIC only told me what was on the medal.The new records have given me a full name-James Edward-and his battalion-this extra information has enabled me to find him in census/BMD records,and was personally interested /pleased,to see that he served in the same battalion as a relative of mine.

I expect some of you may already be aware of this

Yes. There's been previous threads about the new Ancestry uploads but thanks for posting - better to tell folk too often than not at all.

May give more details. Not every roll shows anything new that isn't on the mic

Im on Find my Past til August, not very happy as its hard trying to find things . specifying search options dont allways work.

are these new records free or do you have to pay as I do with MIC's?

is the order of battalion's on the Medal Roll definitely the chronological order of those that the man served in? I reckon so but I have a man who is puzzling me somewhat. He served with:

9th Lancs Fusiliers
3rd Lancs Fusiliers
1st Lancs Fusiliers
2nd Lancs Fusiliers

I know that he was injured at Gallipoli and then later sent out to France in c.August 1916. He was killed in October 1916 with the 2nd Battalion. So going off the medal roll it would seem he was injured with the 9th, after some recuperation was with the 3rd, then was sent out to the war again and had a very brief spell with the 1st - or perhaps was posted to 1st but redirected to 2nd once he got to France.

BUT...... he appears in a casualty list in the Manchester Evening News on September 28th 1915 with a lot of others from the 9th Battalion (I'm presuming from their fight on August 21st) but then again in a casualty list in the Manchester Courier on October 15th 1915 for the 1st Battalion. So either he shouldn't have been on that casualty list or he was transferred to the 1st from the 9th (no idea if that's feasible) whilst at Gallipoli and the correct order would be:

9th Lancs Fusiliers

1st LF

3rd LF

2nd LF

Anyone else seen battalions in the wrong order on a man's medal roll? Can't decide which is correct for this man.

Of course in most cases we aren't in a position to know since the medal roll is all we have. I suspect that there are errors.

There is something a bit odd about those entries. I suppose it would be possible for him to be wounded in one battalion, recuperate, be sent to another and wounded in that one in effectively a little over a fortnight. It would certainly be possible for him to be reallocated to 1 Lancashire Fusiliers from 9 LF when fit.

3 Lancashire Fusiliers were a UK based Reserve regiment based in Hull in 1915 (EA James). I would not expect it to appear in the Medal Roll which should list units with which a soldier served overseas.

R.

thanks, I think it will probably all remain a mystery but I wont give up quite yet. As you say it's possible for him to be injured, transferred and then injured again in such a short space of time but I'm leaning towards the second casualty list being incorrect. But then again he did serve with the 1st LF so.....ahhh, time for a drink ;-)

Im on Find my Past til August, not very happy as its hard trying to find things . specifying search options dont allways work.

are these new records free or do you have to pay as I do with MIC's?

Not sure how FMP works,but once you have an ancestry subscription you can view / copy at will -only pay extra if you need to view non UK records,and dont have the"worldwide" subscription.