Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William (Will) Stemp - RAMC?

seaJane

This is from my grandmother's family album, cropped from a group pictures of her in-laws; my great-uncle Will Stemp, with his mother Fanny née Lewis sitting in front of him.

I never met him, but I think he may be the William Albert Stemp born June quarter 1893 in Lewisham.

Am I right that that is an RAMC shoulder-badge?

Many thanks!

seaJane

post-33278-0-79272100-1419799648_thumb.j

That certainly looks like a RAMC sleeve badge. And he has a Medal Index Card and Medal Award Roll - William A Stemp, service number 31568, RAMC Sergeant then Acting Warrant Office Class 2 - date of entry into France 19th May 1915. Awarded the Victory and British War Medals and 1914/15 Star.

Mike

Mike,thanks so much!

:)

sJ

I have found a note in the pension records of a William Albert Stemp, spouse Horace Magdaline Stemp - I wonder if that is a French first name and he married when overseas? Can not yet find a marriage record for him this side the Channel... and it may be a different man?

Just for interest, here is the photo from which the picture above was cropped: on the right-hand side at the back is my grandfather, John Henry Stemp (1900-1991), who signed up for Officer Cadet training with the RAF in April 1918 (I have seen his record). The girls are Beattie and Milly, and in the front between his parents is my great-uncle Charles.

post-33278-0-24726400-1420051520_thumb.j

Did they live in stockton ?. Was he born in Crodyon ?

post-51028-0-42655600-1420052407_thumb.j

Possible FMP service record - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007282802%2f00402&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7282802%2f33%2f400

Craig

Just for interest, here is the photo from which the picture above was cropped: on the right-hand side at the back is my grandfather, John Henry Stemp (1900-1991), who signed up for Officer Cadet training with the RAF in April 1918 (I have seen his record). The girls are Beattie and Milly, and in the front between his parents is my great-uncle Charles.

attachicon.gifStemps resized.jpg

Did they live in stockton ?. Was he born in Crodyon ?

post-51028-0-42655600-1420052407_thumb.j

Possible FMP service record - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007282802%2f00402&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7282802%2f33%2f400

Craig

Was William Albert Stemp also the name of his father ? - on further checking the service record showing the marriage info I posted above states he was born around 1875.

Craig

Nope, must be a different man - father was Henry, and my William Albert was born in Lewisham (family came from Hambledon originally).

But thanks very much for that, Craig; looks as if the note I saw mentioning Horace must have been a misinterpretation of Theresa, and the Stockton link indicates that she can't be my Will's wife.

sJ

Some old pics benefit from conversion of the file from RGB to greyscale and then an adjustment of the contrast to make the people come alive. It's much harder to do with low resolution scans such as the one posted because what you have to work with is grainy and additionally slightly distorted from jpg compression. But you get the idea.

post-119270-0-83806100-1420058437_thumb.

Thanks Tom. I'm only grabbing these out of my grandma's album with my mobile phone, while staying at my dad's, so I don't have the technology at all!

sJ

oh - ok. Phones are often not the best to make 'archival' photos or ones for retouching.

I have darkened the left side to frame mother and son better.

post-119270-0-29606200-1420059267_thumb.

Thanks again Tom. One of these days I will get good reprints made, if Dad will trust me with the album, but a phone is handy when the questions first fly in...

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive this thread after more than 2 years, but would his MIC reveal which unit of the RAMC he was with?

Many thanks

sJ

Not directly, there is a date of entry 19/5/1915 from which a unit could be derived (by clever people). Depends if he's with a division or CCS or Hospital etc and whether he went abroad with the first move or a later draft.

TEW

I guess this is really unlikely but I would so like to have a picture of the soldier I am researching. It is mainly due to this forum that I have leant so much about him already and for which I am both appreciative and astonished by the depth of the information which was passed to me.

The soldiers name is Private Patrick Francis Langton of The Royal Sussex Regiment. 12th Battalion. He died 30th June 1916.  In France. He lived at 6 Hove Street in Hove Sussex

The local library has some photos of enlisted soldiers but not Private Langton. This I thought was my best chance of finding one and was about to give up when I remembered that this forum was very good at finding the impossible. 

Thank you so much if you can help. 

Veronica

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi sJ,

31568 William Albert Stemp went over with 42 Field Ambulance. Source nominal roll.

Regards

Chris

Yay Chris!

Thank you so much.

sJ