Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Formidable _ re. Frederick James North, Royal Navy 312071 _ torped

ADNIL

Dear Sirs,

As we are fast approaching the centenary of the sinking of HMS Formidable on 1st January 1915.

As my Great Grandfather Frederick James North .. was one of the men lost at sea at this time.

Please can you advise me if there are any websites that commemorate - what happened on this day in history, exactly 100 years ago ... as the war progressed please ?

Thank you

Linda

If you Google the ship and date you will get an account from a local history society and a crew list of casualties and survivors.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much - I did not know about this website.

It will help me to investigate a little more.

Kind regards,

Linda

Dear Linda,

Not sure if you're aware of the Imperial War Museum's 'Lives of the First World War' project? https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/dashboard

As part of a Heritage Lottery Funded project called 'Forgotten Wrecks of the First World War', we at the Maritime Archaeology Trust are working with volunteers to try and address this issue of the under-representation of the significance of merchant and naval fleets off our shores during the First World War. You can find further information about the project here http://www.forgottenwrecks.org/ but one of the things were are attempting to do, is to remember people who lost their lives on ships off the UK's south coast by adding to their 'Lives of the First World War' pages and linking them with the ships they were lost on.

We have created a 'Community' on the LoFWW website for a few ships (more to follow) that were lost, one of them is the Formidable. As you will know there were hundreds of casualties on HMS Formidable and it will be a slow process to add them all to the LoFWW Community, however, we have made a start and I have just added your Great Grand Father to the 'Community', linked it to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission record for him and added some detail. You can click to 'remember' individuals on the site. You may like to add further details if you consider it appropriate?: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/6210972#timeline

If anybody out there would like to help with this mammoth task (which can be done from the comfort of your home PC), please do get in touch as there are in the region of 700 wrecks off the south of the UK from the First World War, so it's a very large task indeed.

Kind regards

Amanda

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Please let me know what you think:-

- What does G1 ? stand for in his badges awarded - 25.8.1910 ?

- What the last sentence says ..  ,

is it   " 10 /s paid for .....

as it is hard to read and understand.

Thank you kindly,

Linda

A_-FW-North.jpg

Hello

I am correct in thinking that the 1st 4 ships; Acheron, Pembroke, Minotaur, (and Serudes ? Ferudes? ) were all Stokers Training ships ?

Thank you

Linda