Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery 169 siege bty in early November 1917.

Stephen Carter

Would I be able to find out what happened near Steenkerke in Belgium around 3 November 1917 that left a number of RGA men dead?

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty-details.aspx?cid=164783&name=GREIG,%20H%20I

The link above shows a record of RGA Graves at the Steenkerke cemetery and includes my Grandmother's cousin Captain William Wesson Frith who died on 3 November. Major Grieg died the day before. Are their deaths linked? Captain Frith was posthumously awarded the Belgian Order of Leopold (Chevalier) and the Belgian Croix de Guerre.

Many thanks in advance for any information.

Kind regards

Stephen Carter

You might like to look at this previous thread on the 169th Siege Battery to trace the relevant Heavy Artillery Group (or Brigade).

Mike

Thanks Mike

Its good to find out what the 169th Siege Battery got up to and to see another forum member (zipper) searching for info about their relative. Frustratingly, the info I'm after is after the diary ends.

Something happened in early November that led to the deaths of several members of the battery and the award of Belgian gallantry medals to British soldiers but I don't know what.

The search continues.

Kind regards

Steve C

There are four soldiers from the RGA that died over a four day period that are all buried at Steenkerke including my grandmother's cousin Captain William Wesson Frith. They are;

Corporal Ernest Robinson died 1st November 1917

Major H I Grieg died 2nd November 1917

Captain William Wesson Frith died 3rd November 1917

Sergeant F Smith died 4th November 1917

I am very curious to find out what happened to them and if it relates to a specific incident.

Kind regards

Steve C

"Its good to find out what the 169th Siege Battery got up to and to see another forum member (zipper) searching for info about their relative. Frustratingly, the info I'm after is after the diary ends."

I was suggesting you looked beyond the 169th War Diaries - perhaps try this. The 64th had reverted back by name from Group to Brigade by this time.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I will see where the records on the HAG get me.

Steve