Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Railway , canal , dock police

trenchwalker

Hi I am currently working on the british transport police roll of honour .

Covering about 120 officer who died in the Great War

Does any one know any other information behind these men

Or do you know of any who served and survived or joined any of the forces prior .

http://www.btphg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/BTPHG-WW1-RoH-Bio-Info-Jan-2014-RS-R.pdf

Apologies if this confuses matters or is off topic.

At the time of WW1 before the creation of the MOD police (1922?) Portsmouth, Devenport (and I think other) Dockyards were patrolled by detachments of the Metropolitan Police.

R.

British Transport police formed in 1949. It has no connection to the Great War, the constable at the time was local employment. I can see why grouped as one but BTP is a post 2nd world war organisation.

Dock police the same but the London-based based docks backed up by the Met but not part of it. Dock police had a boundary of about a mile outside of the docks. Today it's called mutual assistance.

What we are trying to do is show officer who died in the Great War who were constables with the main rail companies such as GWR and midland railway. Basically grouping up all the separate company which would eventually become british transport commission in 1947 when they all unified . Then btp in 1949.

I can help with North Eastern Railway policemen, their Airedale police dogs went to war too but I have no record of how many or how many came back

I did Graeme cheer the mp website has added a little more flesh to the bones. Cheers for the photo of machin . Where's the source so I can add it to the list?

Langham - where are the staff registers for the NER as I have one or two I need to locate.

Got abit of time as I received a injury on duty which is taking time to recover

Until 1965 each of the services had their own police force acting as security guards, etc. as well as policing entry and exit, and theft - especially by civilians employed. It was in that year that the MOD Police force was set up.

Until that time at least they were mainly ex-servicemen (although not exclusively).