Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Ardwick Manchester

kevmc

I would think that if written records were available then they would have been used to recreate Panel 2 at the time.

Glen

Hello Glen

Unfortunately I believe that the records showing a full list of names are no longer available. The Royal Artillery Museum confirm that funds would be made available "to restore the memorial to its former glory" if the full list could be traced.

I do not have the means to check newspaper records in Manchester (they are not on the internet for the period this memorial was erected ie 1920) as I now live on the South Coast, but would hope that a list of names would be recorded in local newspaper editions at that time.

Researching the memorial on the internet is very frustrating. Searches re the Artillery Memorial at the Officers Mess on Hyde Road produces results that are, more often than not, confused with the Cenotaph Monument in Ardwick Green. Even the Manchester Records site does this.

Looking at IWM site for current location of the memorial they give the address of TVAR as Belle Vue Road rather than Belle Vue Street!

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin

Was good to see you on Thursday, hope your journey was worthwhile, and having a look at the 18-Pounder and the memorials.

I have found a good image of the original memorial that was outside the Officers Mess, in the image you can see the reflection of the Drill Hall at Ardwick Green that still stands, I have made a word document of the images from the original and the memorial as it is now. Happy to email then to you, please send you email address, left the document with your details on at my sisters!

Cheers

Liam20150130-Manchester_Artillery_Memorial.docx

Kevin

File was to big for last post.

Cheers

Kevin

Oops....having a IT moment!

Cheers

Liam20150130-Manchester_Artillery_Memorial_2.docx

The attached photos make the names a little clearer. The memorial is high up on a wall so rather difficult to get the perfect shot.

I have researched and believe that some names are incorrectly spelt:

Original Entry Correct

BENNET BENNETT

GODDIER GOODIER

HARDINGE HARDING

HAWKESWORTH HAWKSWORTH

HOWSAN HOWSAM

JOHNSTON JOHNSTONE

MAGUINESS MAGUINNESS (although this is still not a certainty)

MENNEL MENNELL

MOSE MOSS

MORRISTON or perhaps MORRISION but believe it should be MORRISON (cannot find any MORRISTON or MORRISION in WW1 searches)

Kevin

post-46134-0-16772000-1422871646_thumb.j

post-46134-0-15514400-1422871692_thumb.j

post-46134-0-48789700-1422880227_thumb.j

IIDuring my recent visit to view the memorial I also photographed another memorial made from the original which was damaged in the Blitz of March 1941 - per plate at the bottom.

Kevin

"THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED

FROM STONE RECOVERED

FROM THE ORIGINAL DESTROYED

BY ENEMY ACTION

MARCH 1941"

I received a warm welcome from Sgt Clarke who introduced me to his Sgt Major. Liam is collating the history of the units linked to the Centre. We had a lengthy chat and I, and my brother, were given a guided tour. Our thanks to both of them for the time and knowledge they shared.

post-46134-0-38405000-1422889235_thumb.j