Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boy Joseph Fisher - 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers-

aengland

I am interested in understanding the history behind Boy10676 Joseph Fisher who died on 21/11/1914, aged 16. He served with the 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers, and who is buried (Plot C. Grave 108) in Ferozepore Military Cemetery, and was the son of Catherine Fisher, of 33, Ineverton St., North Kensington, London.

As far as I can see his battalion was based in August 1914 in Ferozepore, India. Part of the 7th (Ferozepore) Brigade in 3rd (Lahore) Division. They sailed from Karachi on 28 August 1914 as part of the Indian Corps and moved to France, landing at Marseilles on 26 September 1914.

So can anyone on this brilliant forum can tell me what happened to Joseph? Apart from the fact that the CWGC indicates that he died of wounds on 1 November 1914.

Joseph was clearly left behind... why? What happened such that he died of wounds?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Andrew

According to his Military History sheet (page 35420 of 56337) he arrived in france ?/08/14 and was there on the date of his death, there is a handwritten note below the date that is illegible, it maybe a correction as his medal card shows only a War medal and there is no date of entry.

Looks like an admin error that assumed he was with the Bn, his CWGC entry and the fact he was only awarded the War medal, contradict his service record.

Sam

Strange one. CWGC has him buried in Ferozepore having died there on 21/11/1914. But there is a service record recording him arriving in France ?/08/14 which would correspond to the 2nd Bn, the 1st didn't arrive in France until 26/09/14. I haven't seen the service record but perhaps there was a mix up with another mans details.

There were a number of men left behind in Ferozepore when the 1st Bn entrained for Karachi -

War Diary

Medical Officer 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers

Lahore Division, Indian Expeditionary Force.

Ferozepore 11.45 am 17th August 1914.

Battalion left the lines at 11.45 am & reached the station about 12.30 a distance of about 3 miles.

Eleven men fell out on the march, of these one Pte. Stoddart was allowed to proceed with the battalion, the remainder were sent back to the Station Hospital Ferozepore. Three of the latter died, Pte.’s Cronin, Lappard & Fitzgibbons.

John

I think the two relevant pages, that have been torn and separated, are the "Table II.-Only admissions to hospital...." signed by the Major RAMC, Commanding Station Hospital, Ferozepore, indicating that "he had been shot accidentally". He never went to France.

Kevin