Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

Hi,

#1224 at least one wireless-operator (that´s what it says on the reverse w regard to sender. It would help if we had a close up of the two soldiers sitting next to each other 2nd row 2nd/3rd from left from top to breast.

G OT it: Kavallerie Telegraphen-Schule Treptow! That corresponds with the name Treptow on the card in front of the handwritten date. The last word of senders address is Beritt which is a part of a Kavallerie-unit. In 1913 it was relocated to Ruhleben, and ceased to exist as of August 1914. During the war new schools were opened. Andreas/the Prussian found out that in November 1916 a Funkerschule was opened. Although it was in Spandau, maybe some of the soldiers were stationed in Treptow with the Telegraphen-Bataillon 1. Next to it was a large exercise-ground which was used till 1918.

#1226: In memory of the battle of "Oppi" on the 28th of April 1917. Wherever Oppi is (probably a diminiutive or the like of a place in France, maybe Aisne-region, or as likely Saloniki-front).

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hello!

# 1126

Here I have a map from April 28, 1917. Around Oppy was the german 111th Inf.Div. (incl. parts of 185.Inf.Div.).

Opponents were the british 2nd and 63rd division.

The german recordings wrote, that day the British troops entered the village Oppy but were forced back by rests of the german 17th Inf.Div.

A little confusion...

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

I have just picked up another small batch including these two -- rather small and damaged

group.jpg.8d29445b6792f642230d15d0fc5a8dad.jpg

Interesting arm badge on man on right (8 on a shield?) lots of medals in evidence

and this group with writing on the back

EEurope_edited-1.thumb.jpg.fb223fd09d1f750aa05921b8e9b81d6a.jpg

My best guess (with assistance) is "Unser Quatier in Galizien" which would seem to fit the image

Chris

Thank you both.

Yes SiegeGunner - sticky fingers!

Thanks for the link, GreyC. Interesting.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Musical group. A transcription/translation would be greatly appreciated.

Scan_20181021.jpg

Scan_20181022 (2).jpg

Hello!

#1233:

I read:

Zum Andenken an den Bierabend am 2.Juni 1918 in ???.

Zur Zeit in Ruhe

In memory of the beer-evening June 2, 1918 in ???

At the time at rest

What do you see for the place name, Andreas?  The first two letters are definitely 'An', as in 'Andenken'.  Then perhaps '..ßleiniz', but I can't find anywhere called Anßleiniz.  

Like me... I read An too, but I couldn't find a match...

The letter after „Anßl“ is the same as in „am“ . Is it the name of the pub „Ans Lainiz“ ? The Lainitz (now the Luznice) is a river in what was Bohemia. I think the date is the 12th not the 2nd.

Charlie

Agreed re the date, Charlie, and also re the 'a' following the 'l'.  So we have 'Anxlainix', but is the first 'x' 'ß', and if not, what is it?  And is the second 'x' 'tz' or just 'z'?  I'd like to believe in 'Ans Lainiz', but the 'l' would need to be capitalised, and it isn't.

Hmmm, "Ans" doesn´t make any sense in german. If Lainitz is a river, a pub near to it would have been "An der Lainitz".

But some cities, earlier with an "ß", are now written with a simple "s"

Anslainiz/Ansslainiz/Anslainitz and Ansslainitz all draw a blank on a Google search.  It's definitely 'in' before this mystery word, so we are expecting a place-name ... but nothing seems to fit the letters we have:  An(x)lainiz.  Are there any clues in the photograph to which country it may have been taken in?  Perhaps what we have here is a German version or corruption of a place-name in a non-German-speaking country.

The stonewall looks like Belgium or North-France. Not Alsace or eastern front. - Just a guess...

18 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

#1233:

I read:

Zum Andenken an den Bierabend am 2.Juni 1918 in ???.

Zur Zeit in Ruhe

In memory of the beer-evening June 2, 1918 in ???

At the time at rest

Many thanks; sounds like a good night!

Thanks to all for looking.

Edited by GWF1967

• 1 month later...

Anti mosquito nets?  Bulgaria. 

An early war card. 27th August 1914.

A 1919 dated card;  I'd love to know what the sign says!

Scan_20181031 (5).jpg

Scan_20181108.jpg

Scan_20181220 (3).jpg

Scan_20181220 (6).jpg

Scan_20181220 (2).jpg

Hi, second to last photo shows the Dragoner Kaserne in Karlsruhe with roll call to inspect the horses. That´s what it says on the front and the stamp (Karlsruhe). The guy marked with an x is sender of the card. His name is Richard.

So he is a soldier of 1. Badische Leib-Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 20. The building still exists.

Backside a thank you note for mail received. Address is a very posh neighbourhood in Hamburg, Germany, to the wife of this guy (if you can read German):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Schlinck

His product is still available today.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Dear GreyC,

The wife? Isn't that adressed to 'Freiin' (an aristocratic 'Miss')?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hello! A word "Freiin" does not exist in german language. We only had Frau and Fräulein. I also read Frau.

Tut mir leid, le Prussien .... Sorry, the word FREIIN does exist .... just have a look here : https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Freiin    or : https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Freiin

bonjour de la Somme, Martine

Und guten Rutsch ! (good start into the New Year)

Salut Martine!

Oops... I´ve never heard that word before... So it exists. Thanks for the info.

But anyway, I still read "Frau"

Dir auch ein frohes Weihnachtsfest und einen guten Rutsch!