German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

9 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Sturmmann1918,

Super!

Many thanks in advance...

Kindest regards, collection.

Kim.

Here is a photo from my collection. The case is not in sight, but he is holding a pair of binoculars like the one you posted I believe. I do have photos with the cases, just have to do a little more digging for those.

Scan_20180103 (96).png

Hello!

The stamp on the binoculars is interesting. "Carl Zeiß Wien". Did the german army ordered binoculars in Austria? Or is it a private purchase?

Zeiß Vienna was founded in 1912.

The date of the capture could be written by an american soldier too, couldn´t it?

Edited by The Prussian

3 hours ago, The Prussian said:

The date of the capture could be written by an american soldier too, couldn´t it?

An American soldier would have written the date 10-28-1918

Oh, I didn't know the difference. Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, The Prussian said:

Oh, I didn't know the difference. Thanks for the info!

Amerika und Großbritannien, zwei Länder die durch eine gemeinsame Sprache getrennt sind :D

Dear All, and Sturmmann1918,

Thanks for the input and the photo of a Landser holding his Feldstecher. (Please keep looking: much appreciated!)

Actually, I think "my" binoculars are a different type (see attached: another "standard" type made by Zeiss, Vienna5aa66fce791fc_ZeissWienbinoculars.jpg.fb6c1c78de6e171adf1c3035dc943717.jpg). 

As far as Vienna-produced binoculars are concerned, a private purchase is quite likely, although I think all sorts of sources were utilized to equip both the vast German and K.u.K (Austrian-Hungarian) armies. 

The case was picked up by a soldier of a British Regt., also named in the inscription. I checked, but there was no exceptional action on that particular day for that Regt. Possibly just a battlefield "find".

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I somehow missed this series. Nice shot of this cavalryman and note that he has an S.84/98. These were in theory being issued to Bavarian cavalry from 9th November 1914 in accordance with a decree from the Großen Hauptquartier of that date which stipulated that "the Unteroffiziere, exclusively the Portepeeunteroffiziere, and the men of the entire cavalry shall replace their Kavalleriedegen with the fixable Seitengewehre 84/98, to be carried in a frog on the right of the belt" - stress added. In practice, most cavalry units began to receive these in Spring 1915. And in all honesty, I had not really noticed this bit about the 'right-side' of the belt until I saw this! Thanks!

As a side note to Trajan's quote, prior to that time they did not have a bayonet. They had a cavalry sword and a 9 foot long Lance. This caused all sorts of problems as dismounted troops because they had a carbine but no bayonet. This is covered some in the experiences of Arthur Brühe at Halen – for more information see: "The Last Great Cavalry Charge."

Dear GreyC,

Super! Many thanks for that.

It looks like the same model of "Feldstecher" - in this case posing for the camera, with his newly-won EKII, fur gear and map.

The EKII was a Rite of Passage, and awarded in the millions: yet nonetheless coveted and widely admired. A pendant would be, for example, the Croix de Guerre - but the Brits were far more sparing with Gallantry awards: even the MiD only went into the hundred of thousands, miniscule by comparison. 

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Dear GreyC,

What an interesting photograph!

A group of a dozen senior and junior German officers, some binocular-ed, some Pickelhaub-ed, others with Feldmützen and dust goggles.

The general seems to be wearing a just-awarded EKII - which implies that his EKI had been similarly awarded (which seems unlikely: EKIs were hooked onto eyelets sewn on to the unforms by tailors). In fact, the senior officer at left, with the unusual collar insignia, seems to have had an EKII ribbon in one buttonhole, and another ribbon (Hohenzollern-Orden?) in the other buttonhole: something I have never observed before this.

This all makes it doubly interesting. Many thanks!

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Hi Kim,

thank you for your response.

I can´t quite place the general with the peculiar collar patch. Nothing seems to match. Bavarian, Mecklenburg, 5th Foot-Guard.....The cockade doesn´t seem to be Prussian, but maybe it´s just the intense light.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Dear GreyC,

Yes, very mysterious. 

It never fails to astound me, just how much this sort of minute detail interests all of us on the Forum, a hundred years after the fact...!

Especially, as already mentioned, the status of the coveted yet humble EKII, of which five and a half million (5,527,696) were awarded. 5aa9019ca1493_IronCrossSecondClass1914.jpg.f5d699ddc2e4893887a17449688987ff.jpg

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear GreyC,

Yes.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear GreyC,

No I had not seen that, previously.

Many thanks for going to the trouble of attaching the Link. Much appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear themonsstar,

Super! The knife is reminiscent of a recently attached picture by a fellow GWF-aficionado.

Kindest regards,

Kim.5aabb096a4b74_GermansinDugout.jpg.144629d82429ed3c0342a0e1c5cb691c.jpg

On 14.3.2018 at 00:52, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

A group of a dozen senior and junior German officers, some binocular-ed, some Pickelhaub-ed, others with Feldmützen and dust goggles.

Hi,

from friends on a German WW1 forum I got the information that the general on the right is general Hermann von Strantz, The unit he was commanding was named Armee-Gruppe, later Armee-Abteilung Strantz.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Dear GreyC,

Gen Hermann v. Strantz. Good to know.

I assume with 'right', you mean the gentleman (with plain collar) turned away from the camera and gesticulating with his right hand?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

sorry, wasn´t clear enough in my description. He´s the 2nd from left in the first row. So he is the general on the right w regards to the other general. They are the only two generals in the photo.

The next photo shows a Vizefeldwebel of IR 75 (Bremen) with binoculars and case. The photo was taken on the 28th of July 1914 during mobilisation.

GreyC

75_IR_VizeFeldwebel_Fernstecher_29071914_MunsterD.jpg.2e82861ce65c1b2b339e611d05ddaba9.jpg

Dear GreyC,

Okay, I have now got the generals sorted out. Thanks!

Talking about thanks, very many are due to you for most kindly providing that excellent picture of that IR75 Vizefeldwebel, samt Feldstecher und Tasche. Super!

It compliments a later wartime photo, showing an NCO with what was probably his Fernglas-Tasche also on the belt. Mine has provision for belt-wear, but also has an elaborate and quite long Leder-riemen for carrying across the body...

Kindest regards,

Kim.helm4.jpg.cc078daddc2e57f4086f9adbbef871b9.jpg.631558ed0ea08aea397ca15bda84877f.jpgBinoculars_6_small.jpg.f7907c923dece50318cc27f8a1713c1a.jpg

Hi Kim,

nice photo of the Uffz with pistol, mask and case. I wonder, though if this case is the same as your leather one. Note the metal knob on the side facing us on the photo and compare it to the way the leather band is attached to your case. Different style, I think?

Best,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC