Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

1 hour ago, The Prussian said:

Right.

Zum Andenken an die Rekrutenzeit

? ? (maybe: Füs. = Füsilier and the name) , Rekruten-Depot II (that could be the Feld-Rekrutendepot of the bavarian II.Armee-Korps)

16. Mai 1915

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, 4thGordons said:

Alternatively, put in an envelope for posting to protect the image. Apparently a common practice when envelopes were available.

Chris

Thanks. I'd not thought of that. 

1 hour ago, trajan said:

I'll go with that! Does this mean that I am finally  getting the hand of reading these thing???!! 

Probybly! English is leaning by doing, german is learning by  cursing...

The problem  is not the language, the problem are the different handwritings in Old-Germany. Fraktur, Sütterlin, Kurrent

Tabelle.jpg

Faster than I am trajan;  after the above post from The Prussian I don't feel so bad!

Which leads me to this. 

Culm, Thorn ( Prussia?) 23/7/17.   to Asmus Paulson, Boklund, Schleswig. 

"Dear...."  and I'm lost!

Scan_20170105 (2).jpg

Scan_20170105 (3).jpg

Scan_20170105 (6).jpg

Scan_20170105 (7).jpg

Hi,

he writes to his brother, complains he didn´t write, tells him that they have to practice the Parademarsch for the emporer´s birthday-celebration and that he went to see something at a theater which he quite liked.

On front: Guesses that now, after the troop inspection a new life will commence and he hopes for it, because he is bored doing the same stuff day in day out

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

5 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

he writes to his brother, complains he didn´t write, tells him that they have to practice the Parademarsch for the emporer´s birthday-celebration and that he went to see something at a theater which he quite liked.

On front: Guesses that now, after the troop inspection a new life will commence and he hopes for it, because he is bored doing the same stuff day in day out

GreyC

Many thanks once again.

Hello!

Note the date. It´s 23.1.1911, not 23.7.1917 as initially was mentioned...

Wilhelms birthday was January, 27

It goes to Asmund Paulsen, not Paulson.

In Thorn were the Inf.Rgts. 21, 61 and 176

XVII. army corps, blue cuff-pipings and yellow shoulder straps

Edited by The Prussian

An unidentified unit on a postcard with no text. As a non German speaker I am intrigued by the notice - what are they up to over the weekend 25/26th November 1916?  Perhaps the tickets in their caps are leave passes or rail tickets? Any help would be most welcome.0041.thumb.jpg.533044d1c7c9d7010db0a24338420815.jpg5a44c56cb445d_0041-Copy.jpg.9e4f5dd304d32d5f8924d82010d1fdee.jpg

Mike

Hello!

It´s not special. Urlaubsschein is a paper which allows the soldier to leave the barracks during the time of their holidays

According to the fish I assume they wanted to use their weekend for fishing...

The papers upon the caps will be the "Urlaubsscheine"

I assume, the photo was taken in Germany or in the occupied areas, because the first lying man from the left has a  cord/braid around the shoulder straps. The means a commanding to a training unit (maybe Lehr-Infanterie-Regiment)

Edited by The Prussian

8 hours ago, Mike_H said:

An unidentified unit on a postcard with no text...

8 hours ago, The Prussian said:

... I assume, the photo was taken in Germany or in the occupied areas, because the first lying man from the left has a  cord/braid around the shoulder straps. The means a commanding to a training unit (maybe Lehr-Infanterie-Regiment)

Quite a few of them have that cord - I thought it was for an Unteroffizierschulen or Unteroffiziervosrschulen?

unteroff A.jpg

unteroff B.jpg

unteroff C.jpg

Edited by trajan

12 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

Note the date. It´s 23.1.1911, not 23.7.1917 as initially was mentioned...

Wilhelms birthday was January, 27

It goes to Asmund Paulsen, not Paulson.

In Thorn were the Inf.Rgts. 21, 61 and 176

XVII. army corps, blue cuff-pipings and yellow shoulder straps

Many thanks. 

1st Garde Grenadier Regiment (I'm open to correction on that I/d)  Postmarked Berlin 4.6.15.  It's one for Julian's collection with the ersatz bayonet - from the scabbard a conversion of the Austrian socket bayonet 1845 or 1867.

Mike

0044.jpg.c0d9b2a1ece5aa390dd66e2a46ec1268.jpg

Father Christmas brought me another set! Its an album with the cards pictures pretty firmly pasted in so not much chance of seeing the reverse - there are a couple of loose ones which have nothing on the back. After a few pages of postcard size pics there are quite a lot of small "snapshot" sized pics which seem to be a little underexposed but have some interesting images.

I don't know if these photos are related to one family or if they are someone's (later) collection - the snapshots would appear to suggest the former, as would the repeated appearance of Garde Litzen. Perhaps seeing the pics will allow the experts to decide! I'll post a page view and then individual views (sticking to the suggested 2 at a time to avoid confusing people!)

The first picture might be particularly interesting to Julian given what is on display!

page1.jpg.b1188ab22e1617de69515877c397eb06.jpg

No1bw.jpg.e27db275f8ed2a939ed3bf2b1829a377.jpg

No2bw.jpg.4c766a940c5e022656cf526a49e8f7e6.jpg

Happy New Year / Frohes neues Jahr / Mutlu Yıllar

Chris

Hi,

nice X-mas present. The one with the Tschakos was taken in Karlsruhe, [Baden] as the writing in the lower right corner indicates. The Tschako shows the Badener Greif, so we have soldiers of a Badener unit. To the left an Unteroffizier. We probably see soldiers from a  Landwehr or Landsturm unit (note the old-fashioned Patronentaschen), can´t make out the Landwehr-Kreuz, though. Maybe Andreas can specify.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hi GreyC - yes, thanks, it was. I think photos are the one part of my obsession interest that Maria can see the attraction of.

Looking though the rest there are many more snapshots and informal pics (including some "front" pictures) than formal ones and they are smallish.

This one however, is a competitor for the "take absolutely all of the guesswork out of the picture with a comprehensive caption" award.

No8bw.jpg.a0e50246163796965ca58b5f00a0d7b5.jpg

Chris

Hello Chris!

#962, Photo from Karlsruhe

Grey C and I had a 1 hour-discussion about that photo.

That´s a little bit strange. The only Baden unit with a Tshako was the Train-Btl.14. The tshako was worn until 1903! Then they changed into spiked helmet.

So we are sure we don´t see an active unit, because in Baden no active unit had a tshako in that era.

We see Brandenburg cuffs, so it must be Landwehr or Landsturm!

It would be interesting, if there is something upon the shoulder straps. Then we would have Landwehr. But the Grenr.Rgt.109 from Karlsruhe didn´t form a Landwehr-unit!

So we assume, we have Landsturm! That would fit to the background (railway station) They were used  as security for railway stations too.

Karlsuhe had four Landsturm-Bataillons.

The 4th was at the training ground Heuberg

The 3rd was observers for POWS and at the eastern front.

The 1st was at the western front (since 1917 eastern front)

But the 2nd was from 1914-1917 in Karlsruhe!

It was the 2.Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Karlsruhe (XIV.15)

The only thing, thet does not fit is the absence of the collar numbers... But it was Landsturm. They had to wear, what was available...

Edited by The Prussian

11 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Hi GreyC - yes, thanks, it was. I think photos are the one part of my obsession interest that Maria can see the attraction of.

Looking though the rest there are many more snapshots and informal pics (including some "front" pictures) than formal ones and they are smallish.

This one however, is a competitor for the "take absolutely all of the guesswork out of the picture with a comprehensive caption" award.

No8bw.jpg.a0e50246163796965ca58b5f00a0d7b5.jpg

Chris

Hi Chris!

Note, that in a lot of Ersatz-Bataillons the companies were named Abteilungen, because their strength wer not like a company.

So here we have: I.Abteilung, I. Korporalschaft, 1.Reskruten-Depot, I.Ersatz-Bataillon, Inf.Rgt.114 in Konstanz.

Later this Abteilung probably raised to a company and the 1st company became part of Inf.Rgt.626 in November 1916.

It's höh. Töchterschule (=höhere Töchterschule).

Jan

Hi Chris!

Note, that in a lot of Ersatz-Bataillons the companies were named Abteilungen, because their strength wer not like a company.

So here we have: I.Abteilung, I. Korporalschaft, 1.Reskruten-Depot, I.Ersatz-Bataillon, Inf.Rgt.114 in Konstanz.

Later this Abteilung probably raised to a company and the 1st company became part of Inf.Rgt.626 in November 1916.

But!

Because of the absence of the collar numbers and the good quality of the uniform, now I´d say, it´s Landwehr. Some Landwehr units had the old tshakos too.

Baden had only four Landwehr-Regiments:

40: built august 1914 in Mannheim

109: built august 1914 in Lörrach and Konstanz

110: built august 1914 in Freiburg and Müllheim

111: built may 1916 in Rastatt, Offenburg and Freiburg

Edited by The Prussian

Next page: (contains the image above)

page2.jpg.ec4d368da6914d095fcdf70778eda59c.jpg

No5 - with dogs

No5.jpg.b05be24c996f8d82372bfcfe9c967807.jpg

The epaulette on the man on the right shows 14

shoulder14.jpg.a26babcf88836ecfbec26f0e39b3ea63.jpg

No7- with unit/date

No7bw.jpg.b4eff8ac41a942d8511beede560e6386.jpg

Studio portrait of a Hussar, unknown date. You may see me starting to post here, I've always wanted to share my collection but never got around to it.

Scan_20180102 (2).png

24 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

he was a one-year-volunteer, as indicated by the bicolored thread around the shoulder board.

GreyC

Thanks for the information, the shoulder board did catch my eye before but I had no idea what it meant!

Hi!

The cap band has only two white pipings. If the cap band is blue, it´s Hus.Rgt.12, if the cap band is red (what I believe), it´s Hus.Rgt. 3 or 5.

Other regiments had a sencond coloured piping on top of the cap band or a skullhead between the cocades

On 12/30/2017 at 20:34, Mike_H said:

1st Garde Grenadier Regiment (I'm open to correction on that I/d)  Postmarked Berlin 4.6.15.  It's one for Julian's collection with the ersatz bayonet - from the scabbard a conversion of the Austrian socket bayonet 1845 or 1867.

Mike

0044.jpg.c0d9b2a1ece5aa390dd66e2a46ec1268.jpg

If Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 1, then there should be a '1' clearly visible between the feet of the 'A', and while this looks to be the case, then that is an awfully long gap between the feet of the 'A' - in my humble opinion! So, possibly Königin Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 4? Except that they had blue shoulder tabs...

The Ersatz is a nice one though! My guess is as you!

PS: Edit - just looked closer at the standing chap's tabs - that is pretty certainly Königin Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 4!

Edited by trajan

Hello!

Yes! It´s the Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr.4. Blue sholulder straps

06.jpg