Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

:D Put me down for 'Grumpy'... And the only possible Bavarian there is 2nd from left...!!!

21 minutes ago, trajan said:

:lol:  What got me about this lot though is the Bavarian at the back - first from the right... The rest (well, at least those with military headgear!) are emphatically not Bavarian from their State cockades - so why the interloper???... 

I suspect (given the striped pajamas of the chap on the left with cane) that these are wounded/recuperating men-up to seasonal japes - which perhaps explains the mix.

I´d rather say, they are actors of a front theatre

21 hours ago, The Prussian said:

I´d rather say, they are actors of a front theatre

That was my thought also. The other cockades don't say much, but the presence of a Bavarian in the group made me wonder about some kind of ad-hoc or even standing group of entertainers.

Incidentally, I do have an illustrated souvenir scroll that was given to a Karl Eheman of the FAR 76 that commemorates a theatrical performance presented by the 'San. Komp. 3' for the Kameraden des XIV Korps

Edited by trajan

I bought this one because of the EB 47 bayonet being worn by the man on the right (and I discuss this on  GWF "Arms"), and I have not yet started with the writing on postcard... But, no doubt on the unit! So,  I have posted all with details (including Prussian cockade!) as a means of identifying other cases ...

scan0001.jpg

scan0001b.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0002a.jpg

Hi,

it´s a "Goodbye" note from Bielefeld to relatives (nephews and cousins) . Their name and his possibly Kuhlendahl

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

here´s the  transliteration and translation of the back of this cute photo:

Liebe Auguste,

dieser Hund heißt Lump und ist der beste Freund vom ganzen Zuge. Das Hinsetzen macht es ganz alleine, sobald es nur Zucker sieht. Den Zucker frißt er sitzend und giebt [sic!] dann zum Dank ein Pfötchen.

Mit Kuß d. Peter

Dear Auguste,

this dogs´name is Lump [Rascal] and it is the platoon´s best friend. He takes this position all on his own as soon as it sees the sugar. He eats it in a seated position and gives paw as a token of thanks.

Kisses yours Peter

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

15 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

here´s the  transliteration and translation of the back of this cute photo:

Liebe Auguste,

dieser Hund heißt Lump und ist der beste Freund vom ganzen Zuge. Das Hinsetzen macht es ganz alleine, sobald es nur Zucker sieht. Den Zucker frißt er sitzend und giebt [sic!] dann zum Dank ein Pfötchen.

Mit Kuß d. Peter

Dear Auguste,

this dogs´name is Lump [Rascal] and it is the platoon´s best friend. He takes this position all on his own as soon as it sees the sugar. He eats it in a seated position and gives paw as a token of thanks.

Kisses yours Peter

GreyC

Thank you for the translation GreyC, glad you liked it. 

Here's one that I bought because it demonstrated that thing known as 'bayonet reach', i.e., why long bayonets were though neccesary up to the start of WW1, for unhorsing cavalrymen, etc., but also for dealing with enemies on the ground... This long one if an S.98 mounted on a Gew.98.

I assume that the 'French soldier' is not real, but a mate dressed for the occasion?

Whatever, the pickelhaube shows what I think is a lion, so a Wuerttemburg unit?

The handwriting is crisping clear, but I haven't started it on it yet...

scan0004.jpg

scan0004a.jpg

scan0004b.jpg

scan0004c.jpg

scan0006.jpg

Hello Julian!

Yes, Württemberg!

He wrote the card in Ludwigsburg. There were a lot of württemberg active units. Can you recognize a shoulder strap?

To me they look like Landwehr troops. The following Reserve, Landwehr and Landsturm troops were in Ludwigsburg:

Staff and I./Res.Rgt.121 (formed august 2, 1914)

Ldw.Rgt.120 (formed august 2, 1914)

If you find a 52 on a shoulder strap, it could be Brigade-Ersatz-Bataillon 52

Hi Andy,

Not much shows of the shoulderboards, but yes, Landwehr men... I understand that Zuffenhausen  the postmark and mentioned as "Z" in line 3 and by name in the last line is north of OR part of Stuttgart - does that help in tying them down?

scan0004a.jpg

Edited by trajan

Hi Julian!

No, that doesn´t help, because in Zuffenhausen was no military. He wrote the card in Ludwigsburg, october 1st, took it with him back home to Zuffenhausen, where it was stamped at the post office. The card´s destiny is Crimmitschau (Saxony).

Zuffenhausen was an independent village and came in 1931 to Stuttgart

Edited by The Prussian

Clearer back to this card, but I still can't read the handwriting!

Scan_20170205 (4).jpg

Scan_20170206 (3).jpg

17 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Scan_20170814 (4).jpg

Is there no address on this one?

7 minutes ago, trajan said:

Is there no address on this one?

No address or postmark.  Hand delivered by a soldier on leave perhaps.

13 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Clearer back to this card, but I still can't read the handwriting!

Scan_20170205 (4).jpg

Scan_20170206 (3).jpg

Well, a bunch of Bavarians (large lower cockades)! And my guess - to judge from the Brandenburg piped cuffs - anyone of the BIR 1, 2, 3, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16 or 20....

The card is "To remember the {{Recruiting}} ???-time"...???

3 minutes ago, trajan said:

Well, a bunch of Bavarians (large lower cockades)! And my guess - to judge from the Brandenburg piped cuffs - anyone of the BIR 1, 2, 3, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16 or 20....

The card is "To remember the {{Recruiting}} ???-time"...???

Many thanks for the guesswork. 

Right.

Zum Andenken an die Rekrutenzeit

? ? (maybe: Füs. = Füsilier and the name) , Rekruten-Depot II (that could be the Feld-Rekrutendepot of the bavarian II.Armee-Korps)

16. Mai 1915

32 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

No address or postmark.  Hand delivered by a soldier on leave perhaps.

Alternatively, put in an envelope for posting to protect the image. Apparently a common practice when envelopes were available.

Chris

32 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Right.

Zum Andenken an die Rekrutenzeit

? ? (maybe: Füs. = Füsilier and the name) , Rekruten-Depot II (that could be the Feld-Rekrutendepot of the bavarian II.Armee-Korps)

16. Mai 1915

I'll go with that! Does this mean that I am finally  getting the hand of reading these thing???!! 

Probybly! English is leaning by doing, german is learning by  cursing...

The problem  is not the language, the problem are the different handwritings in Old-Germany. Fraktur, Sütterlin, Kurrent

Tabelle.jpg