Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

6 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

I think the first one could be a policeman from the Weimar Republic. The 2nd is a Husar.

Best,

GreyC

Thanks

The Hussar picture is postmarked Wiesbaden 11-12-16 sent to Alexander Möller in Leipzig

also from Möller - unfortunately it is trimmed so I cannot see a name,  but Werner is penciled on the back

I have sorted out a few more and scanned.

Chris

Three of same unit?

10-23-German-3.jpg.488d72821b35f63d08ed027ed469fd6d.jpg

10-23-German-4.jpg.e0919168d7b1e99eb7e820fb57bfee72.jpg

10-23-German-10.jpg.1f8682da477f9a8b6ff14c3d752b56b2.jpg

1 hour ago, 4thGordons said:

Three of same unit?

Same soldier appears to be in all three shots - in the first group shot he is seated second from viewers right, in the second group shot he is stood second from viewers right. And all obviously taken in the same place at the same time.

Edited by Andrew Upton

Yes, Andrew, my apologies the "?" was stray - it was intended to be an assertion rather than a question.

Chris

Edit

I was interested to see the neck of the garment under his tunic - because of his physique it is much more visible on him whereas it is not obvious on the others. Is it a collarless shirt of some nature?

Edited by 4thGordons

Hi,

the RPPC show members of Landsturm-Infanterie-Ausbildungs-Bataillon des VII.Armee-Korps Münster or Minden. sources are not clear about it. Any hints as to where they were stationed?

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

12 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

The Hussar picture is postmarked Wiesbaden 11-12-16

Hi,

no Husar Regiment was stationed in Wiesbaden. The closest to that city (to my knowledge) were Bonn, Kassel, Diedenhofen.

GreyC

On 12/10/2017 at 20:57, 4thGordons said:

The middle one is of a pattern unfamiliar to me.

My Grandfather has a similar high neck tunic in a photograph dated 1919.

Other than to link to his photo I have no other information.  (post 6)

Edited by Martin Feledziak

4 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

the RPPC show members of Landsturm-Infanterie-Ausbildungs-Bataillon des VII.Armee-Korps Münster or Minden. sources are not clear about it. Any hints as to where they were stationed?

GreyC

Yes very clear indications.

The Single portraitand both groups  have a photographer's address on it : Joh. Lauwigi CREFELD, Samstr. 12

and one of the group pictures has a CREFELD postmark in addition to the Lauwigi address.  (see below)

Chris

Crefeld.jpg.642ec812f2ea759a4c86cab968583d7a.jpg

12 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

Lauwigi. A very strange name in Germany, but it´s true

Here is his casualty entry:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3709434

Presumably this is some relative of the PHOTOGRAPHER rather than related to the subject of the photo or the sender?

The photographer's name is Lauwigi

The sender/and addressee appears to have the surname : Berminghaven? (or Berminghoven?)

Today are 20 telephone-connections of Lauwigi in Germany. So around 77 persons...

Not a lot. The largest population is still Krefeld (former Crefeld) with more than 12 telephones (red colour in the map).

http://www.verwandt.de/karten/absolut/lauwigi.html

Edited by The Prussian

Hi,

I think the card was sent to

Frau

Karl Benninghoven

Remscheid Hasten

Gerstau

Christine

The text on the card #834:

"Teile Euch mit dass es mir noch gut geht was ich von Euch auch hoffe. Hier war es heute schon tüchtig kalt. Hoffentlich geht das in den nächsten Tagen wieder besser. Ich glaube nicht dass es Urlaub gibt. Es grüßt Euch Karl"

Something like:

Inform you that I am still well, which I hope for you too. It was quite cold here today. Hopefully it is getting better the next days. I do not think I will get any leave. Greetings your Karl

Christine

Thanks very much Christine - I was struggling to make any of it out.

Here are a few more from the lot

10-23-German5.jpg.930a0c73acda296198828128e654a59b.jpg

10-23-German-6.jpg.60f850e0832b2f100c51672fcb53f4f3.jpg

10-23-German-7.jpg.0f47c57bf53260282c4931bfa4c77174.jpg

10-23-German-8.jpg.53ab647dfcbc9feb36410bf149e2037f.jpg

10-23-German-16.jpg.d815c3cc2010d988c1dd708e22e682a3.jpg

10-23-German-17.jpg.ed2a89be49414e8b60dff5e61e2ce167.jpg

Chris

Good morning,

1.) 17. XI=2.Landsturm-Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon Gotha

Last=Marine Artillerie=Naval Artillery. Text: The gentlemen of the company have all gathered, the battle may now commence!

GreyC

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 05:17, 4thGordons said:

Just got hold of another small mixed lot of photos - some are damaged but a good few have writing on them (and postal marks) a few quick scans:

german1.jpg.ca3621635ed67245ca2ca810c4707883.jpg

german2.thumb.jpg.57de3d701951c7e8e8564a852fcc1679.jpg

Another great bunch Chris!  Let's see if I can add anything? Possibly...!!! 

First one, four Unteroffiziere? Not Bavarian, but Prussian... But what unit does the guy with the light coloured (white or yellow) cap band belong to? I thought - in my very limited experience and even less knowledge - that light colours as these were cavalry of some kind - Dragoons, Kurassier, even Ulaner... Also, the other three have cap-bands that don't look to be pure red - are they pink? If so, again cavalry come to mind - Kurassier and Dragoons... Yes, the two at the front have Winkelgamaschen, as worn by infantry, and the man on the right has some form of Fussschoner, as worn by mounted troops...  I am probably way off - but who knows, and perhaps Andy/Grey C will comment/correct me.

Second, a bit more straightforward (I think!). They have some kind of monogrammed epaulettes - so FeldArtillerie, or Pioniers, with black cap bands?

german3.jpg.13bb169ac74e2aecd66eb76def260df2.jpg

german4.thumb.jpg.cf5aecc135339c5254aaf65800c616dd.jpg

German-5.jpg.429a21856061dbf1840d6f3b0c4db62c.jpg

First, Landsturm chappie, 15th Corps, 1 Batallion. Looks pleased with himself, perhaps because he has a S.98?! So, after August or so 1915... Wnd or 4th Komp. treoddel.

Marine Artillerie Abteilung which reminds me, I have yet to see or hear of a book on WW1 Marine/Naval uniforms...

Last, Landsturm, 11th corps, 2nd Bat.

German-6.jpg.68dd88fe8a1554703f1a797b6ecb7e77.jpg

An idiomatic translation of this would be helpful I am struggling!

German-7.jpg.29a7c9136f2bd3ba4ce2ad0847468ab5.jpg

First, not a lot to be done with that first one - but the saying is something about the pigs liking us? Are these cooks???!!!

Second, what a mixture - various uniform models, various ages, geared up ready to go with bands over their State Cockades - and a (?)Landsturm man in the middle! A (?)'2' visible on extreme right epaulette...

Three, a happy bunch, Bavarian from the size of those State cockades, and three with Schnuershuhe and Gamasche, as worn by MG units, among others. 

On 10/9/2017 at 05:20, 4thGordons said:

German15.jpg.9c8b640c19bbb3d415e0b0d507b130c0.jpg

German17a.jpg.f1f9d7c59647bbff8feb5e13cc4d9800.jpg

Unfortunately this one is totally blank on the reverse.

Chris

On the first one here, didn't realise that IKEA were around in the Great War...!!!

Last one here - odd that it has nothing written on it seeing how one chappie has indicated where he is with a cross!  its is a full company, but a mixture of uniforms, and older looking men, two with medals (2nd Class EK's by the look of things) on their jackets, while there are hints that some of these men have collar dogs (e.g., extreme right, kneeling man in front of the medic), so a Landsturm unit?

On 10/9/2017 at 13:28, GreyC said:

...and the Landsturm-guys are from:

XI.2=1.Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Kassel

XV.1= Landsturm-Infanterie-Bataillon Straßburg

GreyC

Ah, moving down I see that Grey C has done the Landsturm ones... And the pig caption!

On 10/9/2017 at 15:45, 4thGordons said:

Thanks GreyC!

This one is easier for me to translate (but the signaller? crossed flag patch on the sleeve is not something I have seen before)German-12.jpg.e756412112a88a07d5da43fe97d7baa5.jpg

Signaller's patch indeed (as I see, peeping ahead, that Grey C has already noted). Also a Schutzenabzeichen, and it looks to me that there is a medallion in the rosette, so with two acorns, this is a man at the 6th level in an ascending scale going to 10! Prussian-type artillery sabres? Let's see who they are! The cuff litzen are not quite closed, so maybe 1.Garde-Feldartillerie Regiment or Garde Fussartillerie Regiment? But I think Fussartillerie had white epaulettes? Whatever. to judge from those mutze, those uniforms are pre-war / Feldgrau! And I could be well off, but is so - stand by for incoming corrections from our mates over in Germany!

Oh, and is that the photograph studio monogram at the bottom of that shield? FAS?

On 10/9/2017 at 15:45, 4thGordons said:

German9.jpg.c348c1a4918d748ebaed29de9a4237db.jpg

Landsturm men, some with single number collar dogs, and so members of a 'Brigade' - these were withdrawn, I believe, 14th April 1915, and replaced by the more familiar Roman number for the corps number and 'Arabic' number for the battalion. There is a hint (man behind bike right handlebar, man on right in 'black greatcoat' missing the spike for his helmet and man next to him) that it could be a '4'. BUT, the man at extreme right has an Ueberzug with a Landsturm Cross and 'X 6'!

All for now, No.1 son's birthday dinner to attend!

41 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

... If someone is interested in the history of formations of the Landsturm, my book is out now

https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=8800000&Language=de

Well done Andy! I'll try this an answer to the question which looms this time of the year, 'What do you want for X**s?" !

Hello Trajan!

Thanx a lot! That would be a good idea!!!!!!

Well, back to #846:

Grey C and me discussed the photo and we came to this result.

Please have a look at the shield. I see FAS. So we´ve got Feldartillerie-Schießschule. Yellow Litzen, red shoulder straps and white leather.

Feldart. Schießschule (Kanonier, Troddel, bunter Rock).JPG

Edited by The Prussian