Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Locomotive at war

GRANVILLE

I don't think I've asked this before, but is there any chance someone out there knows of a photo showing a Fowler 4F 0-6-0 tender engine (or very similar) engaged on war work in one form or another? Built in 1911, some of them must have been used in some capacity, although I doubt any will have been sent to France; if you can show that one was, then so much the better.

David

None of the 4F's went to France (a number of older Midland Railway 0-6-0's did though, including one which spent some time in no man's land) but as mentioned would have been engaged in vital war work back home. I haven't seen any images of them at work purporting to be in the UK but even for the North Eastern Railway which I've spent years researching, photos of genuine wartime trains are very few and far between. What I'd give to find an image of an RGA unit or Mk IV tanks fresh from Elswick Ordnance Works on NER metals!

None of the 4F's went to France (a number of older Midland Railway 0-6-0's did though, including one which spent some time in no man's land) but as mentioned would have been engaged in vital war work back home. I haven't seen any images of them at work purporting to be in the UK but even for the North Eastern Railway which I've spent years researching, photos of genuine wartime trains are very few and far between. What I'd give to find an image of an RGA unit or Mk IV tanks fresh from Elswick Ordnance Works on NER metals!

Cheers Rob, pretty much as I thought. If you do turn anything up featuring one on the home front I would appreciate getting a look at the photo.

David