Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal 1949 FREDERICK ERNEST DEBENHAM 1/20th (Blackheath and W

Hookleg

Yes that's him. I had actually looked at Ancestry tree as I have a subscription.

What I have so far is:

His father Frederick William Hyatt had been born in Limerick, Ireland and he worked as a clerk for Southern Insurance. His mother was Charlotte, Nee Hills. Wilfred Vernon Hyatt was born July 1891 in Walthamstow, Essex. He was baptised 16 Aug 1891 at St. Luke's, Kingston, Surrey. In 1911 the family was living at 103 Inchmery Road, Catford. Wilfred and his brother Frederick Bertram Aubrey Hyatt also worked as insurance clerks. (Possibly with father). He attended St Dunstan's College.

He died at No. 4 General Hospital located in Versailles. He is buried in the nearby Les Gonards Cemetery, Versailles. Grave reference: Row 5. 11.

As the death was far from the front could it possibly have been caused by wounds received (Does not say D of W), from the effects of gas or just one of those illnesses caused by warfare in general?? Wonder why he was not repatriated for care in UK? Just me speculating.

Hookleg,

I suppose that it may just be possible that whatever caused him to fall ill may have progressed quickly, causing his condition to deteriorate at such a rate that it was not possible to evacuate him to the UK. In the absence of his service record it may be worth your while checking the local papers to see if the family put an entry in there. The Local History Centre in Lewisham has copies on microfilm and they are open on Tuesdays and Thursdays - you should phone in advance to reserve a microfilm reader.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane