Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British submarines sink any Central Powers' Hospital ships?

Felix C

Reading a German officer memoir and he claims the British sank a hospital ship.-Does not give specifics.

Correct or post-war propaganda? I am thinking Sea of Marmora if it actually happened. Maybe Dalmatian coast.

The only contemporary entry in TNA at Kew for a German hospital ship is a collection of records relating to the OPHELIA.

If this link will repeat the search all well and good, if not forgive me and I will extract details tomorrow.

(having a very quiet Christmas!)

sJ

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=%22german+hospital+ship%22&_p=1900&Refine+dates=Refine

Thank you and and the link works. I read up on the Ophelia thanks to you post.

Unless there is an unmarked turkish vessel involved I doubt the RN sank a hospital ship.

The only one that comes to mind is Ophelia, but Ophelia is a very important case and the basis of much propaganda both during the war and afterwards. (Ophelia, of course, was captured, not sunk.)

Best wishes,

Michael

Well, I'm sure this one refers to the attack by E 21 (Lt. Henry C. Carlyon-Britton) against the austrian hospital ship BARON CALL, 3104 g.r.t., with 867 ill soldiers on board, on August 6th, 1918, 13 miles off Dulcigno (41°42'N,19°23'E), going North from Durazzo.

Of the two torpedoes fired one actually hit the ship, but failed to explode !

Oliver

Thanks Oliver,

I wager you have a listing of every British submarine attempt or success. IIRC I read somewhere that Nasmith sank over 100 vessels of all sizes and collectively the submarine service sank over 1000 vessels. Is that correct based on your research?

Hi Felix,

well, I didn't ever made an compilation to be true.

As for Nasmith you can go with his claims for his three patrols in the Marmara which is 90 vessels, but 64 of them sailing vessels and dhows. The latter could have been the size of 10 tons, 5 tons, 1 ton or 1/2 ton ... :-)

Also the Russians while raiding the ottoman Black Sea coast claimed hundreds of sailing vessels sunk, but most of these probably small local fishing vessels, not even sailing vessels but "rowing vessels" sometime!

Oliver

Thanks Oliver. Request made partly tongue-in-check and genuine interest as well because everything newly known is interesting.