Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Convoys on the Lerwick-Bergen and Bergen-Lerwick route

Felix C

What ADMs refer to convoy composition and incidents(if any) for the route in the Topic title above? I looked at the databases for convoys and do not see a dedicated one for Bergen to Lerwick. Have researched a few Lerwick-Bergen convoys and found them to be OB but do not know if that is for all of them. Lerwick appears to be the final collection point prior to departing so I could see why it does not have a dedicated prefix.

Say I wish to research May, June 1917 traffic on the Lerwick-Bergen and Bergen-Lerwick route but do not know the convoy number, is there a database with convoy nomenclature? Or departure/arrival dates and ship composition?

I searched through the ADM listing but did not find a dedicated "Scandinavian Convoy" result but you know it is all about using the appopriate phrasing when searching the catalogue.

Your input is welcome.

and

Merry Christmas

Hi Felix,

ADM 137/2660 should give an short summary for the "scandinavian convoys", maybe mentioning all the convoys attacked.

In detail you can find the H.Z. and O.Z. convoys covered from ADM 137/2632 - 2639, but this nomenclature just starts in January 1918. As for the convoys from 1917 you should hope that ADM 137/2660 did contain some information... :-)

Oliver

PS: I must say that I'm not able to warm up with this new cataloge. It's impossible for me to go directly to file ADM 137/2660 and check the titel of that file. Might be I'm to stupid for that, don't know :-(

Thanks. I typed in Scandinavian Convoys and restricted to ADM 137 and dates 1917 1917 and never saw that one as a result. Oh well, Human error on my part.

Reference: ADM 137/2660
Description: Historical reports on Scandinavian and East Coast convoys
Date: 1917 Apr-1918 Dec
Thanks Oliver. Best Wishes.

Hi,

Attack on Scandinavian Convoy 17 Oct. 1917 ADM 137/3723 + ADM 1/8541/267 & ADM 116/1599A/

Loss of the Mary Rose, Strongbow and nine ships of the convoy.

Attack on Scandinavian Convoy 12 Dec. 1917 ADM 137/3700 + ADM 1/8429//229

Loss of the Partridge, four armed trawlers and all six ships of the convoy.

Terry

• 1 month later...

Thought to update

Reference: ADM 137/2660
Description: Historical reports on Scandinavian and East Coast convoys
Date: 1917 Apr-1918 Dec
Provides what it says a Historical Summary(operational) of the Convoys but not sailing dates or any identifiers for individual convoys although it does provide enough information to know what specific convoy reports to look into. Very good reading though.
There is a
Reference: MT 25/47
Description:
Bergen Convoy Reports February to September, 1918.
But cannot find for earlier dates.