Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt JW Halcrow & Capt GA Burney RFC

dirtyjob

My relative Lt John William Halcrow RFC (observer) flying with Capt GA Burney RFC (pilot) were shot down on 7th July 1916 near Authuille on the Somme ,( I have read somewhere that it was by friendly fire) . If they were shot down here

why were they laid to rest at Warloy-Baillon which is some 15 klm away, could it be that is where the 4th Sqn RFC was based or maybe they were still alive and died later. I plan to visit both places very soon my relative was originally with the

Dorset regiment I understand there is a memorial for the Dorset regiment at Authuille and wondered if it is sign posted .

I would be grateful if any members had been to either and could offer any tips Merry Christmas to all.

Regards

Peter Halcrow.

Peter

I looked on CWGC for the Cemetery and see that there were a few airmen buried there,at least one other from 4 Sqn.

I suggest that it would make a difference where airmen were shot down,if behind our lines I could see their colleagues recovering them back to base to bury them. There would almost certainly be some recovery of the wreckage by the Sqn too.

Thank you for your reply Sotonmate

That does make sense I know the incident I am referring to is mentioned in a book or two so I will try to find out which they are , there is also a photograph which is in the IWM London of the two men I am interested in I did Email them about it but as of yet had no reply I am planning to visit there also next month so wish me luck.

Regards Peter H.