Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Original WW1 Christmas ephemera & photos

headgardener

Here are two unusual items - they appear to be British Committee of the French Red Cross menu cards for 1917. Maybe someone can advise on the unit or the signatures.

This is the first one.

obverse:

post-55685-0-84075300-1419441192_thumb.j

reverse:

post-55685-0-20888100-1419441201_thumb.j

....and the 2nd one.

obverse:

post-55685-0-60927400-1419441211_thumb.j

reverse:

post-55685-0-69002100-1419441301_thumb.j

Regarding the French menu cards (above), I notice that the same unit appears to mentioned on both - "S.S.A. 30" and "Florina". Does anyone have any idea what this means?

Also, I couldn't help noticing the items at the end of the first menu:

post-55685-0-09181300-1419441448_thumb.j

"Historic Teasers" - I wonder if that was a dish or a game...?!

And I love the bit about "Temperance drinks only L.I.A.R."......!

Well, I'm all Christmassed out after that....!

I hope you enjoyed some of the things I've posted here, and thanks for your responses so far!

Merry Christmas everyone...!

What a fantastic collection. Thanks for sharing them with us.

• 2 months later...

Here's an odd one - I *think* it's a Wireless station. The style of building looks like the UK, although the fern fronds make me think New Zealand. Either way, it seems to refer to an 'Officer in Command', so I'm guessing that it has a military or quasi-military function.

Anyone have any ideas...?

attachicon.gifNine.jpg

You're right it is a wireless station - at Awanui near Kaitaia, Northland, New Zealand. " VLA" was the call sign. It was established in 1913 and was operated by the Post and Telegraph Department.

You're right it is a wireless station - at Awanui near Kaitaia, Northland, New Zealand. " VLA" was the call sign. It was established in 1913 and was operated by the Post and Telegraph Department.

Ann - many thanks for clearing up that little mystery! I've owned that image for many years and never managed to establish the station's identity.

I just found THIS site which gives some details regarding it's wartime function:

"From 1913 until 1930 VLA Awanui was New Zealand’s foremost spark wireless telegraph station, operated by the Post and Telegraph Department. Communication with ships at sea out to about 500 miles and point-to-point with Sydney and Apia along with a 24-hour listening watch filled the working day. During the Great War a detachment of some sixty solders guarded this vital installation from possible enemy action. Several who survived the rigours of war are alive today all over the age of 80. Their number is not known, but several live in Whangarei."

It couldn't have been a very arduous posting because the article (written in 1980) goes on to list some of the wartime dramas faced by the soldiers guarding the station:

" 'Acting Sar-Major' Bill Birch, now 84 years old, (22 Kamo Road, Whangarei) was best man when 'Puckey [a VLA operator] married Matthews [a local lass]' and tells how the horse bolted near the bridge on the way to the ceremony. He had never handled a horse and gig before. His memory has failed now, but he previously narrated some interesting 'tales' of those eventful byegone days when the nation was at war. The brandishing of a revolver by an angry officer was revealed (wouldn’t you if your wife had almost been shot dead in bed by a nerve-shattered guard?). Yet another guardsman shot and killed a cow that had 'failed' to respond to his urgent challenge "who goes there?".

• 1 year later...

I have dug up this interesting thread to post the following Christmas Card.
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all Forum Members!!!!!

Sepoy

REMOUNTS.jpg

Here is a thankyou card for an early Christmas pudding December 1914 from this RGA Gunner Joseph Arthur Doughty [33470] - 112th Heavy Battery RGA, 7th Division I believe.. I believe there is still a Haddon Baptist Church on Tower Bridge Road.

RGA Xmas1914.jpg

Merry Xmas to all. Here are some Aussie cards. Cheers, Gronky.

Mike_ph__5380.JPG

Mike_ph__5379.JPG

From an album belonging to the son of Capt. Lionel Beaumont Thomas MC

Scan_20150919 (8).png

Scan_20150919 (15).png

Scan_20150919.png

• 3 months later...
On 12/24/2014 at 17:35, JWK said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Messines_%281917%29

Caserne Trupel, route de Lyons, Rouen

French army barracks, It housed German prisoners of war apparently.

JWK, can I ask which card etc you are refering to? I know Lyons La Forêt very well and I know where the Route de Lyons is. I would love to find out more about this camp.  

• 2 years later...

I thought it was time to dig up this thread and keep it going for 2019!
Not quite a Christmas card, but a nice Christmas related entry in an autograph book!
Happy Christmas all
Sepoy

006.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 25/12/2014 at 01:33, headgardener said:

post-55685-0-00448500-1419431568_thumb.j

What exactly is he doing????? I simple can't work it out! Is he looking at himself in a hand-mirror, or something...?

As is often the case I’ve come upon this thread quite by chance. Some fantastic cards on show. I’ll have to dig some of mine out and post.

I believe he is giving cheer to the approaching Christmas and New Year by holding up his mess tin, which I feel sure must contain a ration (or two) of rum. The handle is depicted by the darkened diagonal line coming from the rear and the wire loop for the strap can also be made out. It’s not the clearest depiction of a mess tin but once pointed out it’s obvious.

Dan