Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cyril Flint

Trev2386

I'm hoping someone in the ether can shed some light on my wife's grandfather who served during the Great War please?

His name was Cyril Flint and served with the Sherwood Foresters.

The only info I have is that he was born around 1899 and, possibly went to Ireland for the unrest and then to Flanders.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

There are two men who served with the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment named Cyril Flint.

The first one was 2437 Private Cyril Flint who initially served with 1st/6th Battalion and landed in France on 25th June 1915 and was transferred to Class Z Reserve on 20th March 1919.

I dont believe this to be your man as he went straight to France and your family history is that your Cyril Flint initially went to Ireland first. This suggests that he was part of the 59th (2nd North Midland) Division which initially went to Ireland in April 1916 at the time of the Easter Uprising.

This brings me to 3106 Private Cyril Flint who served with the 2nd/5th Battalion, which was part of the 59th Division, and who I believe to be your man. His number was later changed to 200847 when renumbering took place in March 1917. He later served with 1st Battalion Essex Regiment as 204514 Private.

I have been unable to find a Service or Pension record for Cyril.

The battalion history is found on LLT as follows:

2/5th Battalion

Formed at Derby on 16 October 1914 as a second line unit.

Moved to Luton in January 1915 and placed under command of 2nd Notts. & Derby Brigade in the 2nd North Midland Division.

August 1915: formation became the 178th Brigade, 59th (2nd North Midland) Division. Moved to Watford.

Moved to Ireland in April 1916 to quell disturbances.

Moved in January 1917 to Fovant and landed at Le Havre 26 February 1917.

7 May 1918: reduced to cadre.

2 June 1918: transferred to 16th (Irish) Division.

17 June 1918: transferred to 34th Division.

28 June 1918: transferred to 117th Brigade in 39th Division.

3 August 1918: disbanded in France

178th (2/1st Sherwood Forester) Brigade

2/5th Bn, the Sherwood Foresters reduced to cadre 7 May 1918, left 2 June 1918

2/6th Bn, the Sherwood Foresters reduced to cadre 7 May 1918, disbanded 31 July 1918

2/7th Bn, the Sherwood Foresters became 7th Bn when merged with 1/7th Bn 31 January 1918, reduced to cadre 7 May 1918, left 28 May 1918

2/8th Bn, the Sherwood Foresters disbanded by 30 January 1918

174th Machine Gun Company attached 24 February 1917 to 6 March 1917

175th Machine Gun Company joined 13 March 1917, moved to 59th Bn MGC 7-8 Mar 1918

178th Trench Mortar Battery

36th Garrison Guard Bn, the Northumberland Fusiliers joined 12 May 1918, renamed 36th Bn 16 July 1918

11th Garrison Guard Bn, the Royal Scots Fusiliers joined 12 May 1918, renamed 11th Bn 16 July 1918

2nd Garrison Guard Bn, the Royal Irish Regiment joined 17 May 1918, designated 8th Garrison Bn 25 May 1918, left 19 June 1918

25th Garrison Guard Bn, the Cheshire Regiment joined 25 May 1918, left 19 June 1918

13th Garrison Bn, the Duke of Wellington's joined from 177th Bde 16 June 1918, renamed 13th Bn on 16 July 1918

If you want to learn more about Cyrils time in the Foresters, The battalion history has been republished by Naval and Military Press and is widely available. It is called The Green Triangle Being the History of the 2/5th Battalion The Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment) in the Great European War, 1914-1918 by W G Hall and the divisional history has also been republished by Naval and Military Press and is called 59th Division 1915-1918 by E. U. Bradbridge and covers the time in Ireland as well as France/Flanders.

In addition, the battalion War Diary is available to download from The National Archives under reference: WO 95/2695/1. The cost is £3.30

I did a search on the 1911 Census for those Cyril Flint born in a five year spread either side of 1899 and the details are below. Given his service in the Notts & Derbys, and in particular the fact that the 5th Battalion recruited in Derby primarily, I have concentrated on those with a Derbyshire connection.

There is a Cyril Flint on the 1911 Census living in Derby who was born in 1898 at Shillington, Bedfordshire. In 1911 he is living at 14, Clinton Street, Off Nottingham Road, Derby and is living with his parents Lewis Hare Flint and Lila Adelina Flint and his siblings Gladys, Lewis Harold, Hubert Henry and Evelina Norah.

There is a Cyril Flint on the 1911 Census living in Derbyshire who was born in 1898 at Buxton, Derbyshire. In 1911 he is living at 1, Nunsfield Road, Fairfield, Buxton with his mother Annie Flint and siblings George, Richard and Irene. There is also a sister in law, niece and lodger, at the same address.

There are also two other Cyril Flints with a Derby connection on the 1911 Census living in the locality, but they would have been too young to serve in the war.

Regards

John

John.

Absolutely fantastic. Many thanks for your info supplied. My mother in law was really surprised with the information that she never knew before.

My man was born in Bedfordshire. I'll have a look at the diaries. Once again, many thanks,

Trevor.

He lied about his age when joined.

In addition, the battalion War Diary is available to download from The National Archives under reference: WO 95/2695/1. The cost is £3.30

John

2/5 Battalion,from Feb 1917 to Jul 1918,had it's War Diary at:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355221

Quoted one is for 1/5 Battalion.

Hi Sotonmate

Thanks for correcting my mistake. Thought I had jotted down the right details!

Regards

John

Trevor

Happy to help.

Regards

John

I know of this Cyril Flint who I think may have served in Ireland

https://derbyshireterritorials.wordpress.com/5th-battalion-2/3106-percy-flint/

cheers

Mike

Mike,

Good grief!! Where did they come from?? That's really good info. Cyril didn't marry Esther, he went on to to marry Dora, also mentioned.

Cheers Mike.

Trev

Does anyone know if he was awarded a Kings War Badge as he was gassed at some stage during the war? Although after being treated, he was transferred to The Essex Regiment. Would this preclude him?

That's what I call a result Mike, fantastic. BRONNO.

The Forester is the topic of this thread, Cyril Flint, my wife's grandfather. The scout is his brother, Harold, and the Seaforth,(?), is his other brother, Hubert.

post-115486-0-82368800-1419526503_thumb.

Is that an Imperial Service Badge showing between the tales of Hubert's glengarry (above the pocket - on the wrong side)?

R.

Mike,

Good grief!! Where did they come from?? That's really good info. Cyril didn't marry Esther, he went on to to marry Dora, also mentioned.

Cheers Mike.

Trev

Hi Trev

Must be serendipity……bought them off ebay over the last few months in separate auctions…….but they really belong to your wife - so I'm happy to pass them along to you.

Thanks for posting the photo - great to put a name to the face and also good to know who he married in the end :)

cheers

Mike

Is that an Imperial Service Badge showing between the tales of Hubert's glengarry (above the pocket - on the wrong side)?

R.

I have no idea, I haven't done any research on Hubert at all. I don't even know his regiment!

Trevor

I have no idea, I haven't done any research on Hubert at all. I don't even know his regiment!

Trevor

He looks like a Seaforth to me. The Imperial Service Badge would indicate a territorial.

R.

Ok, more info. The mother in law made a mistake. The Highland soldier is Lewis Harold Flint, Cyril's brother. He also had a brother, Hubert, who was also a Sherwood Forester.

Lewis Harold Flint! I had been about to ask if Hubert was Lewis Hubert Flint.

There is a Medal Roll Index card and a Medal Roll (British War & Victory Medals) entry for Pte Lewis H Flint 3587 and 266441, serving in 1/6 Seaforth Highlanders (which would match the photo) and then 1 Seaforth Highlanders.

R,