The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unifrom Identification

rsel

Hi,

I Don't know if anybody can help me at all, i have just been sent the attached phot by a relative as possibly one of our realtives who died in the Great War. However, i am not so sure, so i am thinking that if anybody can identify the uniform/insignia it might help confirm/deny who the person is.

post-91825-0-94915500-1419357565_thumb.j

Thanks

Richard

Only a wild guess I'm afraid - Fusiliers pre 1914?

Ant

HI there,

There are more expert here than I but I would hazard a guess and say that he is a driver of the Royal Artillery judging by the sword belt, the grenade collar badges, the Austrian knot on the cuffs and the riding crop.

Cheers,

Rob

Resl

Rob may well be correct with Royal Artillery, but with the Musketry badge this chap could be a Lance Corporal in the Royal Engineers.

Sepoy

Is that a South Africa Medal with clasps?

Royal Field Artillery Bombardier (driver) in full-dress with the old sword bearing waist belt between 1881 when the collar badge was introduced and 1902, when the sword belt was replaced. He appears to be an assistant fencing and gymnastics instructor, with crossed swords and crown over his chevron.

post-599-0-14715000-1419371742_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-05738700-1419371931_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-57348700-1419371983_thumb.jpg

If you can post a family name or names we may be able to find him in the QSA medal rolls.

Sorry High Wood, we have no idea who he is....The photo was labeled as 'John' and was with a photo of a man we know to be Philip Newham in the collection of a cousin, so there was a hope it might have been Philip's brother John who died in WW1. The placing the uniform as from the turn of the centry elimates that, so i have no idea who it maye.

Richard

There are a few Newham's in the QSA rolls but none who served with the Royal Artillery. I assume that the particular Newham family came from Peckham and that Philip George Newham 18459 MGC and John Stanley Newham G/7817 of the 1st battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) were your relatives. If so, John Stanley Newham's service papers have survived and can be viewed on Ancestry.

There are a few Newham's in the QSA rolls but none who served with the Royal Artillery. I assume that the particular Newham family came from Peckham and that Philip George Newham 18459 MGC and John Stanley Newham G/7817 of the 1st battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) were your relatives. If so, John Stanley Newham's service papers have survived and can be viewed on Ancestry.

There was a huge Royal Artillery garrison at Woolwich, not that far from Peckham and I suspect there is a connection there. He might even be artillery militia. There was a strong RA culture/presence in the greater London area South of the River Thames.

Thanks guys, i now all about the records for my two newham brothers, as i have done quite a bit of investigation into them....My belief is that he is not related to the Newhams at all (based on the ealier posts), as before the first world war i can see no connection with an armed services and there is no real family resemblance. My assumption is now that its part of the of side of my cousin's family (i.e. not our shared line)

Richard