Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rescuing/restoring WW1 camp hut

stallturn

Does anyone have any experience (or can point us in the right direction) of restoring a WW1 camp hut?

We have an original (Armstrong?) camp hut in our village, which we believe came from either the Fovant or Sutton Mandeville training camps in Wiltshire. Prefabricated in six 10ft sections, it has the nameplate of Boulton and Paul of Norwich on each end door.

For a hut that has been exposed to the elements for the best part of a century, it is in remarkably good condition and is still watertight with almost all the original timbers (with stamped assembly numbers).

We are looking to restore & re-locate this hut locally, and are looking for advice and guidance.

Is there anybody out there with experience of dismantling & restoring such a hut? (I understand there is one at Cannock Chase that has been restored?)

Additionally, might there be original plans/drawings/specifications available for this type of hut?

Many thanks in advance

The RE museum in Chatham could be a good place to start as they built many camps and are likely to still have plans etc. A search of the inter web can also bring up surprising results.

Regards

Pompey

National Archives file WO 153/1256??

catalogue entry

but whether the file covers Armstrong huts I'm not sure.

Google "Invisionzone Armstrong hut" will lead to previous threads and one or two of these may provide useful clues.

Details of original construction

here

Moonraker

Does anyone have any experience (or can point us in the right direction) of restoring a WW1 camp hut?

We have an original (Armstrong?) camp hut in our village, which we believe came from either the Fovant or Sutton Mandeville training camps in Wiltshire. Prefabricated in six 10ft sections, it has the nameplate of Boulton and Paul of Norwich on each end door.

If you use the Forum ' Search ' box in the top right corner and enter the headings for two previous Threads :-

' Canada Huts - any simple descriptions please ' dated October 8, 2013

' Use of an Armstrong Hoist in WW1 ' dated September 9, 2013

Both these Threads contain information and photographs of Armstrong Huts.

Regards,

LF

I have a scale constructional drawing of Armstrong Hut No 4. Apparently there were 2 types, 24ft x 15, and 12ft x 9'3".

larger than A4, so if of use to you, pm your email address and I'll send so you can paste the scans.

Peter

That's a useful offer, though the reference to "Armstrong Hut NO 4" could complicate things. The basic Armstrong hut was 60 feet long by 20 feet wide with an average height of 10 feet, and was meant to accommodate 30 men (some sources say 24 and an NCO) though this sometimes stretched to 40. Dimensions varied for other Armstrong huts designed as cookhouses, dining rooms and regimental institutions. (On August 12, 1914 the Directorate of Fortifications and Works was asked to submit plans for a standard hutted camp that could house one battalion at a war strength of 1,000 men. Having already done some preliminary work, the Directorate's design branch under Major R H O Armstrong produced plans within two days. These embraced seventeen different designs.)

Moonraker

Thanks for all of the great replies, which I will follow up.

The dimensions of our hut are:

• 60ft long (made up of six 10ft sections, bolted together)
  • 16ft wide (with a 3ft door)
  • 11ft high (to the apex of the roof)

I would be happy to post some images...if I knew how to do it.

Recommend you contact Taff Gillingham (aka Chief_Chum) / Khaki Devil Ltd - they are in the process of restoring a number of WW1 huts and should be able to offer help and advice:

http://www.khakidevil.co.uk/Options.html

may not be an Armstong hut, here is para from Work of RE, Director of Works.

Peter

PS the History of RE contains construction details of other hutting patterns, happy to send scan if know which one.

post-2649-0-64385800-1419416628_thumb.jp

• 3 years later...

Plans are now advancing to move this hut "to a more prominent place to be preserved".

Moonraker