Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transfer from 7th Notts and derby's to MGC

oxlade134

Looking at the medal roll DVD it appears a batch of men transferred from the 7th Bn. Notts and Derby's to the Machine Gun Corps, anyone have a man with records who can indicate when this might have been?

War Diary 7th Battalion N&D's

16th FEBRUARY 1916

In billets, letter "A" and "C" Companys under Major H. Bradwell leave for Forceville by route march staying the night 16/17th at Beauval 2/Lts E.T. Peach and J.E. Kemshall and 36 other ranks are transferred to the Brigade Machine Gun Company. Sergeant Hildyard is appointed CSM of that Company.

BRONNO.

Bronno,

I now realise I may have some assumptions wrong about my man Ernest Alfred V Blencowe Private, 5840, 267112, 143575, 7th Bn. Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment, Machine Gun Corps .

Does your answer mean that he was transferred to the 177th MGC Coy in the 59th Division? He was killed on 15th April 1918 at Bailleul I have the diary entries for this day so if your answer is to confirm 177th I can track when and where a little better.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger, the 1/7th (Robin Hood) war diary piece above is the only extract that mentions the movement of any men to the MGC (that I can find), it doesn't mention any company etc so I can't say whether it was the 177th Coy or not. Regards and Merry Christmas. Bronno.

• 2 weeks later...

Roger

Is it possible that he served with the 2/7th or 3/7th ? He does have a high 4-digit number consistent with a late 1916 enlistment (or posting to the Notts & Derby).

That would make sense him being with 59th Division when killed.

Mike