Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial Camel Corps

chrispy49

I have been given information about a relative from an Absent Voters List. He is Arthur Bailey 50886 Imperial Camel Corps. Can I ask for advice from you more knowledgable members please.

Would Arthur have gone straight into the ICC or would he have been in another Regiment and then transferred?

I have found a medal card that shows Arthur Bailey (I don't know if this is the correct Arthur) that shows West Kent Yeo Pte 1906 and then Corps of Hussars 50886 (which is the number I have for Arthur). Balkans 7-10-15. Disemb 2-Aug-19

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris.

I recommend you research this through the excellent Long, Long Trail website, as the information you've given tallies in terms of a possible timeline for Arthur. The 1/1st Battalion (TF unit liable for overseas service) is shown here. You'll see a reference to the Western Frontier Force - insert that in the search box and you'll see a lot of detail. The West Kent's were back in Suez in December 1916 - when the Imperial Camel Corps was formed here.

Mike

Many Thanks Mike,

I will follow you reading list as suggested.

Arthur is one of 5 brothers that fought in the Great War and it would appear that all but one survived.

Best wishes,

Chris

Pedantically, a Yeomanry regiment would not refer to a "Battalion"; "Regiment" would probably do.

The change of numbers, presumably, refers to the re-numbering of the TF and the inclusion of the West Kent Yeomanry in the Corps of Hussars.

Unless Arthur's service papers exisit you may have problems in confirming his involvement with the Imperial Camel Corps.

I have a 1914 Star to a 1473 Private Fred Edlestone, The Queen's, who was transferred to the 2/4th Battalion stationed in Egypt during February, 1916 after he recovered from wounds. He was transferred to the 5th Company, Imperial Camel Corps in May 1916, serving with them until August, 1917, when he was returned to the 2/4th Battalion (in disgrace!).

Fred's "two" medal index cards show that he served in four different Regiments during the war, but they do not show that he served for the greater part of the war with the Imperial Camel Corps. There is also no indication in Brigadier James's Unit listings (Shown on the Long Long Trail) that men from the 2/4th Battalion served with the ICC. The only way I discovered Private Edleston served with ICC was on reviewing his Service Papers.

Sepoy

Chris - following Sepoy's post, is the reference in your first post to the ICC based on documentary evidence?

Mike

Mike,

I am researching soldiers from Cranford in Northamptonshire and assumed a lot of them had joined the Northamptonshire Regiment. A fellow researcher, and an expert on the Northamptons sent me information regarding men from the village including a copy of the Absent Voters List.

The entry for Arthur reads: "Bailey, Arthur Cranford St. Andrew 50886 Pte, Imp. Camel Corps"

There is also an article in the local Parish Magazine dated March 1916 which says. "We were glad to hear recently that Arthur Bailey had safely received his Christmas parcel and that, although some considerable time had elapsed, the contents were in good condition and he was very pleased with them. The parcel went to France but before it could be delivered he had gone with his regiment to Egypt where the parcel safely followed him."

Letters giving thanks for the parcels were also record in the magazine for Feb 1917 and Apr 1918. It doesn't say from where.

Regards,

Chris.

The Medal Roll for Arthur Bailey 50886 states his unit as Imperial Camel Corps.

Hywyn

Hywyn,

Many thanks for this. I'm new to all of this type of research but can I find this on Ancestry or FMP. If so what do I search for?

Regards,

Chris.

They came on Ancestry a few weeks ago Chris

Here's the search page if you want to book mark it

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5119

They will also appear in the list of military results when you do a general search of a name

e.g for Arthur Bailey

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?MS_AdvCB=1&gl=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=2&msT=1&gss=ms_f-2_s&gsfn=arthur&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=bailey&gsln_x=XO&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=a63&cp=11

where they are the items shown as "UK, WW1 Service Medal and Award Rolls"

Many thanks Hywyn,

I have to use my local library to access Ancestry but I never seem to find any information other than the men that have been killed and have been recorded by the CWGC.

I'll give it another go after the Christmas break.

Many thanks,

Chris.