Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

silver war badge and discharge -- anything I've missed?

FrancesH

Love the illustrations with the impressive posture! I am sure the actual men looked pretty impressive in real life as well.

• 3 years later...

Further to this thread, I managed to download the relevant card for Charles's pension record through the WFA cards on Ancestry, but it's unreadable (see attached). (If someone wants to tell me how to manage this resource better I'd be very grateful for that too!)

I was hoping to try to get an idea how he suffered the injury to his right hand. Can someone explain to me what role the Military Police played when a battalion was on the front line? I know he served with 2/6th Glosters and looking at the WD they spent a very limited time actually at the front in the spring of 1917 (lots of training going on), except for an attack at Fresnoy on 4 May when 16 casualties resulted. Would he have taken part in this action?

(After convalescence he was then sent to 4/5 Lancs Fusiliers, a training battalion based in England -- presumably because having been shot through the right hand, he was no longer fit for active service.)

pension card.jpg

Hello Frances. There are a number of articles which may help here

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/ancestry-pension-records/

In addition there are three "how to" guides on the WFA's YouTube channel. 

Regards, David 

Hi David

Thanks. I will have a look at the 'how to' guides: I found the card successfully (obviously!) but don't understand why the image is so indistinct. I hope all will be explained!

Did you use the hammer/spanner symbol - download - entire page method. Just tried it and have a clear copy.

TEW

Aha! That sounds like the thing I should have done! Did not know anything about hammer/spanner symbol. Thanks!

OK just tried that and then realised it was what I did before. Image is STILL blurred. Perhaps I am just unlucky and this one card was photographed slightly out of focus. Ah well.

Not sure how that's happening. I downloaded your card yesterday and it wasn't blurred. Curious.

TEW

Argh! I am sure it is something I am doing wrong but I cannot work out what it is. Frustrating. I just want to see the card!