The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help identify the regiment/time period from this photo plea

LimeGreeny

Hi! I'm a newbie on this site, and this is my first post, so please be gentle with me. :-)
I'm looking for any help anyone can give me in identifying the regiment and approximate date of this photo of my great-grandfather.
I'm having trouble in finding any Military Records for him, and only have this photo.
The only records I can find would suggest that he might have been a Lieutenant in the Royal Artillery in the Great War. Would this fit with the photo?
I've also attached a close up of the cap badge on the photo, and it would seem to fit with an RA Cap badge. (?).

Just looking through the forum - and my photo would appear to bear an uncanny resemblance to the uniform and backdrop on this thread.

I'd be very grateful for any assistance anyone can offer. Thanks in advance.

post-119055-0-47005100-1419103201_thumb.

post-119055-0-95974300-1419103209_thumb.

It is Artillery (the badge you show is the modern version with the crown as currently used). The background is, I suspect, a standard photographer's prop, probably bought "off the shelf" by many.

whats his name ?

Two things about this picture.

Although there is a backcloth. I think it is actually outside. The man is standing on a carpet/mat, but there are flagstones in the foreground.

This is one of a number taken of different men. Note the small 45 or is it 46 on the ground?

R.

Possibly a driver? Looks like he could be wearing riding breeches and spurs.

Definitely not an Officer, he's either a Gunner or more likely a Driver with the whip, both of those ranks are equivalent to an infantry Private, post his name and we'll be able to help you more

Two things about this picture.

Although there is a backcloth. I think it is actually outside. The man is standing on a carpet/mat, but there are flagstones in the foreground.

This is one of a number taken of different men. Note the small 45 or is it 46 on the ground?

R.

flag stones inside are not that uncommon

3 medal index cards for this name - all with middle initial - do you know if he had a middle name ?

this is of course assuming he served and was awarded a medal in ww1

...he's either a Gunner or more likely a Driver with the whip...

Or possibly a mounted member of a gun detachment. He is carrying a riding crop - standard for RHA and RFA mounted Gunners.