The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A mix of German and British 'bunkers', courtesy of the DM

trajan

Some nice photographs here - and sorry if I have double-posted but couldn't see anything else relevant today!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2880996/One-years-World-War-landmarks-form-permanent-reminder-millions-fought-died-freedom.html

They are indeed Egbert! I wasn't too happy with the title of the piece ('fought and died for freedom'?), but the photographs were astonishing. I have never really field-studied the battlefields of the West front, being more familiar with the Palestine and Syrian areas, where, of course, such features are non-existent. If I ever got around to retiring, then I'll try to get out one summer and look at some of these structures.

They are indeed Egbert! I wasn't too happy with the title of the piece ('fought and died for freedom'?), but the photographs were astonishing. I have never really field-studied the battlefields of the West front, being more familiar with the Palestine and Syrian areas, where, of course, such features are non-existent. If I ever got around to retiring, then I'll try to get out one summer and look at some of these structures.

If you are interested in such massive structures and underground infrastructure still accessible you should visit the HWK Northern and Eastern slopes.....