Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spr Charles Henry Bartlett R.E.

Guest IannjBartlett

Guest IannjBartlett

I am new to this forum (and website). I have recently been given my Grandfathers medals (Norman Henry Bartlett - from Exwick in Exeter, Devon and with his 4 medals there was a Royal Artillery cap badge, and an adjutant corps cap badge. I have been able to identify the medals but i'm struggling to trace any details about his service time.

All I have is a relative stating that he said he was a motor bike despatch rider shortly after D-Day. I don't have a service number as there isn't one on the rim of the medals.

Additionally there was three other medals in the box that do have a service number and regiment etc.

201820 Spr CH Bartlett RE (Charles Henry) born 15th Dec 1881; Died 8th Sept 1970

I've managed to track down the medal roll and find that my Great Grandfather was a railway engineer (I think) within the Royal Engineers and the medal roll gives another service (or regiment) number WR260512. His pre-war civilian occupation was platelayer at Exeter St. Davids Railway Station and I believe he went back to this after the war. Again, i've identified all 3 of his medals but find that one of the medals is the 1939 - 1945 defence medal - i can't work out why he would've been awarded that one, unless it was for home guard???

It's been really interesting trying to track down the history, but unfortunately i've reached the limit of my investigative skills and was wondering if anyone had any advice about other avenues I could try with both of the people above.

Thanks

You grandfather's records will still be with the MoD as he served after 1920. You can apply for a copy, details here https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Looks like your g grandfather started out as an ordinary Sapper and was transferred to the railways section (most likely due to his civilian occupation). I can't see a surviving service record for him on Ancestry (The majority of WW1 service records were destroyed in a fire in WW2) and the medal index card and medal roll don't say anything you don't already have. The WR prefix on his second number does indicate he served with the RE waterways and railways section. Start here to find out more http://www.1914-1918.net/cre.htm