The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAPTAIN J.C. WOOD

AIRCOP

I am new to the forum, this is my first posting, and I live near Wichita, Kansas, USA. I recently purchased a Great War Group, both full size and miniature medals. The group consists of: Military Cross, 14-15 Star, War Medal, Victory Medal and GVR Jubilee Medal 1936. The War and Victory Medals are named to: CAPT. J.C. WOOD. Is there any way to research this group? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum

Jubilee medal is 1935

Try findmypast, ancestry and London gazette

Who was he with ? Also a Google search is worth trying

Thank you for the replies. This group came out of an estate sale in the Wichita, Kansas area. I obtained it from the person who purchased it from the estate. So no additional in formation is available from that venue. One thing strange about the group is that the 14-15 Star is not named on the reverse. This is the first time I have seen an un-named star. Both the full size and miniature groups are swing mounted and show signs of being worn. They are not something that has been recently cobbled together. I have tried several on-line sources with no luck. Any additional help appreciated

A quick trawl through the MIC index shows 4 Capt. J.C. Wood - probably only one of which will have been awarded an MC.

I didn't write the names down I'm afraid, but I remember that there was a James Cappie, a John Carlton, John Charles, and John something-else. Put the names through the London Gazette and you should find your man.

could be either

someone who thought he was due a 1914/15 star

or he lost his original

I would disregard any officer joining after 1916 but you will never know for sure and that includes the MC winner as would expect he would have that mounted too

I believe the group was to Captain John Calder Wood M.C., 5th Bn. Gordon Highlanders, later Royal Engineers.

I believe the reason for the 1914-15 Star being unnamed may be because on the back of his medal index card it states 'App. for 15 Star & Medals 20/10/23'. On the front is a note 'Inel.15 Star' [ineligible for 15 Star]. He obviously thought he was entitled to the Star to claim it, and my guess is because he was denied he got his own, unnamed. The date of entry into a theatre of war was 19.3.1917, France, although he was gazetted into the Army in June 1915.

Gazetted 2nd Lt. into 5th Bn. Gordon Highlanders on 24.6.1915 [London Gazette issue 29203 of 22.6.1915 page 6150]

The M.C. was gazetted in the King's Birthday Honours 1919. Lt. (A./Capt.) 5th Bn. Gord. Highrs. attd. 5th Field Survey Bn. R.E. [London Gazette issue 31370 of 30.5.1919 page 6836]

He transferred to the Royal Engineers in 1925. Capt. John Calder Wood, M.C., late 5th Bn. Gord. Highrs. to be Capt. 10th Apr. 1925 [London Gazette issue 33049 of 22.5.1925 page 3447]

He was struck off the Reserve of Officers in June 1935 [London Gazette issue 34174 of 25.6.1935 page 4092]

The fact that he was still on the Reserve of Officers and a colonial official would be the reason, I believe, for the entitlement to the 1935 Jubilee Medal.

Captain John Calder Wood, M.C. (Surveyor General and Acting Commissioner of Lands) to be a Nominated Official Member of the Legislative Council of Nigeria [London Gazette issue 34150 of 12.4.1935 page 2512]

He was also appointed O.B.E., but that is not a medal worn in a group, see obituary.

An obituary

http://www.maneyonline.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1179/sre.1946.8.61.279

Edit: Just to add - O.B.E. gazetted in London Gazette issue 36869 of 3.1.1945 page 125. John Calder Wood, M.C., Civil Assistant, Directorate of Military Survey, War Office.

Died 15.2.1946 at The County Hospital, Wolverton Avenue, Kingston-upon-Thames. Home address 56, Pensford Avenue, Richmond, Surrey. Probate granted to Jean Leslie Wood widow.

Note dates are quoted in the British convention i.e. day/ month/year.

The 1935 roll may give some confirmation to the excellent work HB has done

My thanks to you all, especially HarryBrook. I am amazed as to how much data can be found and posted in such a short time. I wish we had the same capability here in The States to access U.S. Military Records. Again, thank you very much and a Merry Christmas to all.

post-119151-0-75953000-1419182545_thumb.