Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Named 1903 bandolier

Tony N

Hello,

While searching in a box for something else I came across this 5 pocket bandolier and thought oh yeah, I remember buying that back in the 80s. I then checked to see if a maker or date was stamped somewhere in the leather but nothing, instead I found the name F Adendorff 329546. I checked online and found Frederick Lionel Adendorff, Lt. RE but no record of him being rank and file before his commission.

Could this be the same man? Perhaps joined the ranks and commissioned before going overseas in 1917? FL Adendorff arrived into the UK from Natal in 1913.

Is there any way of dating the bandolier and how long were they in service for? One of the metal fittings is brass (perhaps replaced) whereas the other two fittings are steel.

Any comments much appreciated.

Tony

post-6680-0-29999700-1418978092_thumb.jp

Tony,

I have a 1903 pattern bandolier I picked up in Afghanistan in 2009 it is dated 1938. For a comprehensive background on 1903 patern bandoliers see the excellent Karkee web site

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1903/components/1903_bandoliers.html

regards happy xmas Mark

Thank you both for the links.

Mark, it appears I have a MK II bandolier and since posting I've found a year and maker, both of which are difficult to read however, the year is either 1916 or 1918.

Dave, as the gazette doesn't say he was commissioned from the ranks, it's possible that someone has just written his name on there especially if the date on the bandolier is 1918 instead of 1916. If that is the case it seems a lot of trouble to go to back in a time when there was no internet. I need to establish if that year stamp in the leather is 1916 or 1918.

Tony

Thanks JP, I noticed that on his MIC.

I've taken a photo of the maker's stamp, when I zoom in on it, the bit I can read looks like Birmingham and the year of 1918 which is rather disappointing as it means it can't be Lt. Adendorff. It's possible there was another member of the family who didn't make it overseas or even a South African I suppose.

Well, at least it's Great War dated so I mustn't grumble :)

Tony