Remembered Today:

All Together Now - Christmas Truce Memorial

andalucia

Went along to see this in Liverpool.

Here are a few photos of the Christmas Truce Memorial in Liverpool. It

is standing inside St Luke's church in Liverpool. The church was bombed

during the WW2 Blitz and stands as a memorial to the Blitz victims in

the city.

As far as I can tell this truce memorial will go to Flanders then to Germany. It will later

be cast in Bronze and brought back to Liverpool to go on show again.

Then it visit every bombed church in the country, before visiting most

of the major football grounds. It will then visit major football

grounds in Europe, before being placed forever in Flanders.

On Sunday evening the statue will be packed up for its journey to

Belgium where it will stand in the town square near to Messines close

to where the famous football game took place. I am unsure of it;s final

place, but I believe it will be in Messines.

I saw it yesterday. I think it is so moving.

28hg8km.jpg

2q8bm6s.jpg

2ebdcfp.jpg

i2nbmf.jpg

Thanks Ant, I'd heard a lot about it and I'm going to wander up to see it as soon as I can. Your photos really help

Merry Christmas matey,

Pete.

Thanks for that Ant. I think it's off to Messines eventually but it ought to be in Wulverghem to be close to where there is some evidence that a kick about took place.

Ian; I know what you mean. I for one would have preferred it without the football (and I'm supposed to be a football club historian); I think this detracts from the real message which is the handshake. There were not many football matches (if at all) but thousands of handshakes. I'll go and have a close look and report back.

Pete.

Ant thanks for showing the images. What a beauty, a marvel created by the artist. I hope the bronce version will never fall victim to scrap- metal thieves.

I like it a lot. But agree it would be better without the football. Lets hope the metal robbers leave it be.

I think its an EOD toffee bomb, no football :hypocrite:

Toffee

Everton are called The Toffees. Well done Egbert, you now support the best football team in Liverpool.

What a wonderful memorial and thank you for sharing the photos. I think the football rather detracts from the sculptures which are superb.

Anne

Hi Anne

If I could take the football off I would. The handshake is everything. As Egbert said, we can say the ball is a Toffee bomb.

No mention (that I could see) of the sculptor?

D

Added: from the Liverpool Echo website:

Two fibreglass figures, about to shake hands, capture the moment British and German soldiers stopped fighting and played football on Christmas Day 1914.

Named All Together Now, the statue, designed by Andy Edwards, is on display at Liverpool's bombed-out church.

St Luke's Church, which faces down Bold Street, is itself a monument to the 1941 Blitz on Liverpool.

The building was almost destroyed by an incendiary bomb in May 1941 and has remained as a burnt-out shell ever since.

Tom Calderbank, who led the project behind the statue's creation, said Edwards had "captured that moment of humanity amidst all the horror and the carnage".

The sculpture will be on display at the church for a week before being transported to Flanders in Belgium where it will be displayed.

St Luke's Church was built in 1831 by John Foster and John Foster Jr and continues to stand as a memorial to those killed in the war.

Edited by daggers

Went to see it today, a powerful piece indeed. The football, I think, is even more iconic in respect of the Liverpool origins of this memorial.

Toffee

Everton are called The Toffees. Well done Egbert, you now support the best football team in Liverpool.

Ermmm...Ahem! Second best surely? :D

Thanks for the photos Tony. Was hoping to get up to see the sculpture but couldn't make it. The figures will look good in bronze.

Caryl

Anyone near Stoke?. It will be on display outside the stadium for the game between Stoke and Chelsea tomorrow evening.

Thank you for posting those photos they are very clear and better than those I have seen on the 'Echo ' website.

Merry Christmas

Gill

Was up,at Prowse Point today to remember all the lads involved on the day ,the memorial looked superb in the flesh ,one of the lads involved with the project was on site and very interesting to talk to one of those involved .

Any pics?

A mate has put the pictures on Goodlifefrance web site ,and they look very good , the surprising thing was when it was at Prowse Point along with the son of the lad who put together the resin model the work looks very impressive and as though it's cast in metal, after we had a kick about I took our party to Messines to the bar on the corner of the square I was stunned to walk out of the bar to find the work had been dismantled and reassembled inside the town square bandstand! It was though the thing was stalking us!

I know the piece does not get everyone's approval ,but the people in our party thought it superb and if it gets people talking and discussing the issues surrounding the 1914 truce then fantastic .

The lad made the point to us that the statue represents the moment the 2 soldiers come together with some hesitation which I feel the work captures splendidly.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...

A full-size bronze cast of the sculpture was installed outside the tourism office in Messines/ Mesen - near where the 2014 Christmas Truce games was said to have been played. It was unveiled on December 22nd 2015. A quarter-size cast bronze copy has ben installed at the FA's National Football Centre, St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, above the title "All Together Now", a song sung by The Farm, which the sculptor said inspired him to create the work. It was originally the centre of a project to have a memorial to all footballers who died in the Wars installed at the National Arboretum.