Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Hector Canham 2 Northamptons DOW 22 11 16 timescale

wulsten

Albert Canham, died of wounds 24th November 1916 and is buried in St Sever Rouen, can anyone add any info on time scales for when he may have been wounded or what the 2 battalion Northamptons were engaged in,

anything appreciated, Geoff

I agree with sotonmate's first comments in this previous thread about the 8th Division - from July 1916 they don't appear to be involved in the further battles of the Somme. I've had a look elsewhere and suggest you access the battalion's war diaries here at the National Archives - downloadable for £3.30 or free to view at Kew. Or these posts may attract a Northants expert...

Mike

A Lieutenant Leonard Rawlings in the 2nd Battalion was killed in action at Les Boeufs on 7th November 1916. Here is a description of the Transloy Ridgesin October on the Worcestershires website - but there are references to the 8th Division and the 24th Brigade. Also a map of Les Boeufs.

Perhaps getting closer..

Mike

I would personally go with what is on his service record :whistle: :

Attested, age 20 years, 9 months, 10-12-1915.

Mobilised, 21-2-1916.

Posted to 3/4th Bn., Northamptonshire Regiment, No. 5389 (not on MIC).

France, 9-9-1916.

To 17 I.B.D.

Transferred to 2nd Bn., Northamptonshire Regiment, 21-9-1916.

To 24 F.A., Eczyema, 9-10-1916.

No. 1 C.C.S., 10-10-1916.

25 Gen. Hospital, Hardelot, 12-10-1916.

To 17 I.B.D., 27-10-1916.

Rejoined 2nd Bn., 11-11-1916.

Wounded, GSW head, 16-11-1916.

14 C.C.S., 16-11-1916.

2/2 Lan. C.C.S., 17-11-1916.

5 Gen. Hospital, Rouen, 21-11-1916.

Died of wounds at 5th Gen. Hospital, Rouen, 2nd Bn., 24-11-1916.

Next of kin: Wife, Jane Canham, 196 Gladstone Street, Peterborough. Born at Peterborough. Widow lived at Langtoft, Market Deeping in 1920.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=britisharmyservice&MS_AdvCB=1&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=2&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=albert&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=canham&gsln_x=XO&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=5k3&cp=11&pcat=39&fh=5&h=304795&recoff=&ml_rpos=6

I think I took a photo of the Langtoft War Memorial a few weeks back. I will check whether he is on it. As a local man, there may be some more info lurking in the recesses of my PC somewhere.

Steve.

Mike, thanks for the info will download the war diary and well spotted Steve, think that puts the timeline to bed and if he is on the memorial would be very interested to see the inscription, there is also a photo of him in the Peterborough advertiser awaiting receipt will post when received, Geoff

From the War Diary:

15 November 1916

The battalion organised in three companies only, occupied SUMMER TRENCH, DEWDROP TRENCH and WINDY TRENCH, one company being in each. The relief of the 1st Sherwood Foresters was complete by 7 p.m. As soon as the relief was complete an attempt was made to push forward patrols to determine the exact position of the enemy. The leading patrol under Sec. Lt. Simons got forward 12 yards undiscovered and then suddenly as they topped the false crest cam under close M.G. fire and two very valuable NCOs (Sgt Kelly and L/Cpl Smith) were killed. The officer succeeded in getting back and reported the enemy's position behind the crest. This having been determined the two front companies (C & D) sent out covering parties and every available man was employed on a sap going forward from SUMMER TRENCH parallel with the sunken road. Until midnight work was considerably interfered with by hostile shell fire - the enemy apparently seeing us in the moonlight thinking we were forming up for an attack. The party was three times driven in by hostile barrage fire. After midnight the work was continued and concluded, the sap being completed to 120 yards and a post established at its extremity.

16 November 1916

A fine day and all very quiet during daylight. Our 18 pounders us rather heavily in the afternoon (5 casualties from them). During the night we worked continously joining up the head of our sap with AUTUMN TRENCH a distance of 250 yards. A very satisfactory night's work.

I can't see him on the pictures I took of the Langtoft memorial so he is presumably remembered elsewhere, possibly at the old St Barnabus Church on Gladstone Street/Taverner's Road in Peterborough(still there but no longer a church).

Steve.

Possible not, as both Sgt Kelly (3/10060 James Kelly, KIA 16-11-1916) and Lance-Corporal Smith (19238 Thomas George Smith, KIA 16-11-1916) are listed as killed on the 16th, so he may have been hit by the machine-guns when going over the crest or with the working party in the sap.

It may be that all of the overnight casualties (killed or wounded) were classed as being wounded on the 16th.

Steve.