The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Gun is this?

Dust Jacket Collector

I recently bought this piece of supposed Trench Art from a flea market in Lechlade. All the dealer had written on it was 'Trench Art. WW1 AIF'. Although it's somewhat damaged it appears that it might have served as a cigarette lighter. As a book collector I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about Artillery pieces so I'm hoping one of you can identify it. The base plate measures 6 x 3 1/2 inches.

post-35362-0-93559700-1418830262_thumb.j

Looks like a generic version of a field gun to me.

Indeed it does, but those wheels and the barrel look to me like they have been taken from a model muzzle loader

Here's one with shields attached. Shields were an add-on item. They were removed when the gun was used in an anti-aircraft role. (Sorry for butting in, Rob!) It could be just the generic field gun, though. Is it meant as a decoration (bookends or desk ornament, etc.)?

post-2067-0-65523700-1418859252_thumb.jp

You may be right that it's just a generic field gun. The piece sticking up behind the barrel is spring loaded concealing a small wheel and what looks like a tiny reservoir hence my guess at a lighter. It's quite well made though and not bad for £12. It looks rather fine on my bookshelves sandwiched between a few artillery memoirs.

I may be wrong, but when I first saw this my thought was "cigarette dispenser"...

It looked to me that you click the lever to the right and a woodbine* is presented from the breech.

I did own such a novelty once in the past. Admittedly not gun shaped.

???

Regards

Ian

* Other brands were also available. Smoking kills. If you don't smoke, don't start. If you do smoke, stop. Matches - models own.

Nice idea Ian but the barrel is too narrow to take even the thinnest fags. There's a screw underneath which lets you fill the reservoir with petrol. What intrigues me is why the dealer had written AIF - does it look like an Australian gun? It has a little handle on the left of the barrel which if you turn it will elevate the gun. Unfortunately it's stuck so I can't try it out.