The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal Recipients

chrispy49

This is a very long shot but can anyone help/advise on where I might find a list of Military Medal recipients. I have no other information than several articles in a local parish magazine.

Cranford Parish Magazine March 1918: The news that the Military Medal has been awarded to Harry Smith has given great pleasure to his Cranford friends. A Lowick man who was employed at the stables at the Hall when war broke out was amongst the first of those who enlisted from Cranford at the beginning of September 1914. He was wounded in the battle of the Somme on July 2nd. 1916.

Cranford Parish Magazine May 1918: Only recently we had the pleasure of alluding to the distinction won by Harry Smith. Though not a Cranford man he enlisted from here and has many friends in the village. Now we must all congratulate Phillip Betts on having won the Military Medal.

Cranford Parish Magazine December 1918: Phil Betts wishes to take this opportunity of thanking all those who contributed to the watch which has been given him in honour of his having won the Military Medal.

A lot of the men from the small village of Cranford joined the Northamptonshire Regiment.

Regards,

Chris.

Lars,

Many thanks for this. The parishes in brackets definitely identify them as the correct men.

I tried to search the LG but just came up with a load of gibberish.

Now starts the long search for the 40 or so other men mentioned in the magazine.

Best wishes,

Chris.

Phil served with the 5th Northants, his service record (4 pages) survived.

Harry with the 6th btn, no papers found.

Lars

Ok Lars...now you have my attention.

Just how have you found this information so quickly? The reason I ask is because, as I alluded to in my previous email, I need to find around another 40 men from the village and I'm sure a lot would have originally gone into the Northamptonshire's.

Chris.

I have an ancestry subscription, and Ancestry has the medal rolls for the BWM/Vic, which often gives battalion(s). They also hold service and pension records that survived the blitz.

Some of the men are probably easy to identify from the medal index cards, rolls or the odd service record. The search engine is a bit hit snd miss, but for those you can't identify yourself - try posting all info you have here and we'll try to help.

ATB,

Lars

Many thanks Lars,

Ancestry and FMP are available at my local library so I'll take my list and have a few hours browsing.

Chris.

There was an article (with picture) in the Kettering Leader of 22-2-1918

A PLUCKY DEED. Military Medal for Lowick man

post-6536-0-93418800-1419012904_thumb.jp

"PTE. HARRY SMITH. Pte. Smith of the Northants (Pioneers) Regiment, youngest son of the late Mr and Mrs Thomas Smith of Lowick, and nephew of Mr and Mrs John Smith of Lowick, has been awarded the Military Medal.

On November 30th, in connection with the Cambrai fighting, he volunteered with a Lance-Corporal to take a message to the Colonel of the Guards Room for more men and ammunition. the Lance-Corporal got shot through the neck on the way and killed, but Pte. Smith, notwithstanding the awful risks, got safely through with the message, and returned with the reinforcements. Pte. Smith and his comrades had been in the trenches three days and two nights, and they succeeded in holding the line.

Pte. Smith, who will be 24 years of age in March, enlisted in September 1914, went to France in July 1915, was severely wounded in the knee on July 2nd 1916 in the Somme battle, and was in hospital six months; and went to France again in February 1917. On the 4th Inst., he came home on 14 days leave, and went back on Sunday night. he is brother to Mrs Walker of Huntingdon Road, Thrapston, with whom he makes his home. He has two brothers serving, one of whom is in hospital ill. Two of his sisters and a niece are in Coventry Ordnance Works as examiners.

Before enlisting, Pte. Smith was groom for Capt. Fenwick, of Cranford Hall."

He was one of the original 6th Battalion men who went to France in July 1915 and then switched to the 5th Battalion with whom he was awarded his M.M. at Cambrai during the German counter attack. The 5th Battalion were near Villers Guislain at that time. He enlisted about 6 September 1914 and transferred to Class Z Army Reserve on 25 February 1919.

The picture of the microfilm was taken at an angle so the picture is not brilliant.

The Lowick Absent Voters List (AVL) has an entry for: 15818 Private Harry Smith, 5th Battalion Northamptonhsire Regiment, so this is 99.9% him in my opinion.

Steve.

thegenealogist.co.uk has Military Medal recipients in its records. It's a subscription website.

This may help:

post-6536-0-55430300-1419013315_thumb.jp

From memory I think Rupert Halbard was awarded an M.M. - and there is obviously a fair bit about on Sir Frederick.

Steve.

and:

post-6536-0-70175600-1419013419_thumb.jp

I have a couple of references to Philip Betts that I can chase up, but will need a while!

Steve.

13015 Philip Betts:

post-6536-0-49673600-1419019247_thumb.jp

Rushden Echo 2-8-1918

I have a note next to his name that the Military Medal was awarded for rescuing wounded men having been already commended in March & Sept 1916. I don't have a specific source marked against it though, apart from that it was noted in the Kettering Leader.

Steve.

The Kettering Leader article of Philip Betts (26-4-1918 issue):

post-6536-0-87971400-1419025797_thumb.jp

Not the clearest picture! The text reads:

"News has just been received that Private Philip Betts has received the Military Medal for "Bravery in the field". Twice before during the war this gallant soldier has been commended for goof work done, viz. March 1916 and again in September 1916. Now comes the gratifying announcement that for acts of bravery in rescuing wounded comrades under fire he has been awarded the Military Medal. He is the first village lad to earn the coveted award. Before joining the Northants soon after the war broke out, he was engaged on the Cranford Estate as a bricklayer."

Steve

Rupert Henry Halbard M.M., 1897-1961, No. 3/10147 (joined near outbreak of war, but probably held back due to age), served with 1st Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. Military Medal awarded at Givenchy on 20 April 1918 whilst serving in "C" Company of 1st Battalion (Per War Diary & London Gazette 6-8-1918). Transferred to Class Z Army Reserve on 9 February 1919.

post-6536-0-96179000-1419026719_thumb.jp

Kettering Leader 24 May 1918

Steve.

Steve,

Thank you very much for all of the information you have sent. I'm really pleased to see the absent voters list, especially as I had asked someone from the village to see if they could get hold of a copy without success. I now have a list of 78 men who had a connection with Cranford during the Great War. Of course not all joined the Northamptonshires but what you have posted will be a real help.

Best wishes,

Chris.

Steve,

Do you know if an Absent Voters List exists for Cranford St Andrew?

Regards,

Chris.

Sorry Steve,

I see you have already included it. Senior moment!

Can I ask another question.

Pte Frederick Mason has 665 Agrel.co against his name. Do you know what this stands for.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Lars,

That would explain the article in the Parish Magazine mentioning two men that had been sent home to work in the local Ironstone mines and another two that had been sent home to work on the land.

Best wishes,

Chris.