The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

217 Siege Bty RGA

Ferring

Gentlemen,

My great Uncle Douglas Towery Farrier was killed on 1.10.1917. I would like to know where the above Battery was on the day he fell.

Cosmo

bit off topic and for this I apologise but are you able to identify where 214 Siege battery RGA was positioned around 20th - to 27th July 1917 as I believe they were in the Ypres area and I am currently researching where my wife's GF was wounded.

TerryA,

the closest precise coordinates I have other than just Ypres, is for 1/8/17 when three of their guns were in a forward position at I3e.7.5.4.0; having been brought up to 6 gun establishment 4.7.17.

Rgds

Paul

Paul

Thank you for your reply. Sheet 28 appesrs a number of times in the map sheet column. Do you refer to the 1917/09, area sGravenstafel-Frezenberg 1:10000 map?

Regards

Cosmo

TerryA,

the closest precise coordinates I have other than just Ypres, is for 1/8/17 when three of their guns were in a forward position at I3e.7.5.4.0; having been brought up to 6 gun establishment 4.7.17.

Rgds

Paul

Many thanks Paul - that's brilliant - he was wounded on the 24th July so the battery may not have moved in that time - will be looking at their war diary in the next few weeks but they are being digitalised at present so are unavailable at NA

Paul

Thank you for your reply. Sheet 28 appesrs a number of times in the map sheet column. Do you refer to the 1917/09, area sGravenstafel-Frezenberg 1:10000 map?

Regards

Cosmo

Hi,

i think Ororkep refers to Sheet 28.

Not 28NE, NW or any other variants, just Sheet 28 eg the fourth one down in the whole list is this one :http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A4138/-/collection

Thats the 1:40000 map of the Ypres area in February 1917.

Have a look at that one first, then if you like, you could zoom into one of the four quadrants, I think 28 NW4 covers the area in question.You'll have to scroll some way down the list to get it.

TerryA,

Rgds

Paul

Hi Ororkep.

Is that co-ordinate correct? is it meant to be i.3 or i.13? Can't get it to work on the Trench map converter http://rdf.muninn-project.org/TrenchCoordinates.html

Hi,

i think Ororkep refers to Sheet 28.

Not 28NE, NW or any other variants, just Sheet 28 eg the fourth one down in the whole list is this one :http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A4138/-/collection

Thats the 1:40000 map of the Ypres area in February 1917.

Have a look at that one first, then if you like, you could zoom into one of the four quadrants, I think 28 NW4 covers the area in question.You'll have to scroll some way down the list to get it.

Hi Ororkep.

Is that co-ordinate correct? is it meant to be i.3 or i.13? Can't get it to work on the Trench map converter http://rdf.muninn-project.org/TrenchCoordinates.html

sorry - am new to this - the co-ordinates I have entered in the converter shows the middle of Atlantic Ocean west of Gabon :wacko:

OK enter it exactly like this:

28.I.25.d.45.10

Separate all items by a FULL STOP- although there isn't one at the end, with no gaps between them.

28=Sheet no. (Take your pick here: http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm )

The Sheet numbers are usually just numbers, but some are suffixed with a letter, e.g 36a,36b,36c

I (capital i, not number one!) is the label of the square , one of 24 that the map is divide into (A-X)

25 -The above square is subdivided into 30 or 36 numbered squares, each is 1000 yards square.

The numbered squares are divided into quarters, 4 squares labelled a-d, each with sides of 500 yards.

And finally the last 2 numbers, are the co-ordinates of a point within those squares.

Those last two must "match" , ie either be 1 digit each, or 2 digits each.

Giving two numbers of 1 digit, narrows the area down to a 50yard square.

Giving two numbers of 2 digits narrows it down t0 a 5 yard square.

Check that when you've entered data in the search box (especially if you've copied and pasted), that the co-ordinate is in the correct format.

Sometimes extraneous characters appear, which means the search returns the Gulf of Guinea (0 deg E, 0 deg N)

Try it again, it's a very good tool.

PS. It is possible to omit some full stops, but to start with, it's easier to enter them all

PPS, You can just enter 28.I or 28.I.25, or 28.I.25.d

Many thanks Dai - will try again later

Where does the e come into it if the squares should be one of four - a to d in the reference you gave me ??

That's right a-d.

ororkep has clarified that his co-ordinates contained a typo.

Paul,

I think with your help I have located the co-ordinate you gave me. The Bollaartbeek runs nearly diagonally through 25d. Bellegoed Farm isin the bottom left of 25a.The Belgium 1:20,000 Poperinge-Iper 28 1-2 map. Zillebeke Lake appears North North East from the co-ordinate.

It is amazing how close the Voormezele cemetery is to where Douglas was killed. Major & Mrs Holt’s Battle Map of the Ypres Salient has helped me.

Sadly I do not have a photograph of Douglas. I have been to Kew on many occasions and photocopied many of his records. I could not find the war diaries for the 219 Siege Battery it seems they were lost or captured. Do you know what the compliment of his battery would have been?

Thank you for your knowledge.

Cosmo

Cosmo,

the last available Monthly Return actual establishment numbers for 219 although dated Oct 1917 actually apply to August when they were a component battery of 1 HAG (Heavy Artillery Group) rather than the following HAG they came under (54 HAG) when Farrier met his demise. This is due to the time it took to send in the figures, collate and record them. After October all returns are shown as a collective theatre of war total rather than individual battery totals.

Oct17 Monthly Return: 6 Officers, 1 WO, 7 Serjeants, 161 OR's = Total 175.

Rgds

Paul

PS. The WD for 219 is held at Kew under their internal ref: WO95/326 but only covers Apr-Jun 1917.