Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Issued Cardigan

AdamMills97

It states in the equipment list that a woollen cardigan / waistcoat was issued but at what times would they of wore it?

Thank you in advance

I did look at that thread but it doesn't seem apparent to me when the cardigan was warn because if you wasn't in your tunic you would be in shirt sleeves

I think Garath's answer is still correct. The cardigan was obviously issued to help as the temperature dropped and if you were fortunate enough to get your hands on one I feel sure you would have worn it whenever you could.

David

It was a standard issue item for all British soldiers, as per the Clothing Regulations. If you were on sentry duty at night I am sure you would have been glad of it under your tunic!

Ron

Many thanks for the quick replies, I just assumed that there was another reason other than wearing it when it was cold such as wearing around camp and off duty

It was a standard issue item for all British soldiers, as per the Clothing Regulations. If you were on sentry duty at night I am sure you would have been glad of it under your tunic!

Ron

I'm sure the cardigan was dropped from clothing regulation on mobilisation in 1914

Mark

I recall some years ago seeing workmen doing a spot of road widening near Morval on the Somme. When they cut back the embankment a set of P'14 equipment rolled out, c/w with bayonet, helve holder, entrenching tool etc. Strapped to the rear of the belt was a bundle which turned out to contain a pullover wrapped in a leather jerkin, wrapped in a ground sheet. When I left the scene the workmen had discarded the kit by the side of the road. A couple of days later a French collector showed them to me. Surprisingly good condition considering they had been buried for Seventy-odd years. He was planning on restoring the jerkin. They couldn't have got there any earlier than late 1916. - SW

I've seen camp photos in the past where troops are wearing their cardigans; once your day's duties were done, it was tunic off, cardy on, putties off!

Baz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Talking of which... does anyone have access to a pattern for the cardigan ?? I have a friendly knitter who is happy to make one for me

• 2 years later...

Some nice pictures on here of a repro cardigan

https://www.greatwarforum.org/gallery/album/788-brit-jumpercardigansweater/

I came across this IWM picture, and thought I'd share it on here. Shared and reused for non-commercial purposes, image is attributable to the IWM Collection.

Caption:
A little girl rescued from Masnieres with a British soldier at Gouzeaucourt, 22 November 1917.

Cardie_Gouzeaucourt_IWM_Q_3204.jpg

• Admin
On 11/01/2016 at 12:52, Yorkshire Dragoon said:

Talking of which... does anyone have access to a pattern for the cardigan ?? I have a friendly knitter who is happy to make one for me

The IWM also has this re contracts https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030001080

Just found this site too https://knitbyahenshop.com/2012/11/11/knitting-for-victory-free-knitting-patterns-included/

Edited by DavidOwen

• 8 months later...