Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/1 Derbyshire Yeomanry - Nov 1915-Feb 1916 - East Dereham

colinalsbury

For interest I transcribe below the War Diary of the 2/1 Derbyshire Yeomanry covering Nov 1915 to Feb 1916

November 1915

East Dereham 16.11.15 11.30pm

Fire at Hobbies Limited, East Dereham

The men of this Regiment who are receiving instruction in Fire Drill turned out on the 'Alarm' sounding & rendered valuable assistance to the Local Fire Brigade.

The Squadron on 'Fire Duty' for the week was also present forming a Cordon round the burning building.

23.11.15 / 24.11.15

Captain Loasby - Divisional instuctor in Trench Fighting - visited the Regiment on these dates. his Lectures and Practical demonstrations proved to be of great interest & most instructive.

for the Remainder of the month work was carried on as per programme.

December 1915

Dereham

Dec 17th midday

OBSERVATION PIQUET

The duties of this piquet were handed over to the 4TH PROVISIONAL BATTALION and a receipt for all documents and instructions obtained from Lieut. Leeper, Officer I/Charge

Dec 22nd 11am

EMERGENCY FORCE PARADE

The whole Regiment paraded in full marching order and was inspected by the G.O.C. in the Field opposite Quebec Hall, East Dereham

Dec 24th 10.30am

FIRE AT CURRY'S, NORWICH ROAD, EAST DEREHAM

This fire occurred on the morning of the 24th instant , at a confectioner's shop, but it was not very serious and was soon brought under control. the Regimental Fire Party assisted in putting the fire out.

Dec 26th 12.30pm

GERMAN CAR

Information was received from Brigade headquarters that a Daimler Car bearing no number but letters V W had been seen coming in the direction of CAWSTON, the passengers in same stating that they were Registered Germans. A Careful look out was kept and a list of cars taken. the car in question, however, did not reach Dereham.

January 1916

East Dereham

23rd Jany 5pm

A Balloon carrying 1. Officer and 6. men descended on the outskirts of Dereham at 5.p.m. on the 23rd, January, 1916. Investigations were made and the balloon and crew found to belong to the R.N.A.S.

27th Jany 10.15a.m.

the Regiment paraded in Emergency Force Order for inspection by the C.O. on this date.

February 1916

NIL

Hi

From what you say and what I have it seems likely all units in the 2/2nd Mounted Division filled in a war diary for this period. Possibly all Home Service TD units ? Below is what I have for Jan and Feb 1916 regarding the 2/1st Berkshire Yeomanry.

5th January

The G.O.C. visited the equitation classes of the Berkshire and Buckinghamshire Yeomanry and watched them going through their paces.

28th January

An Inspection by Major General Burns Murdoch CB, G.O.C. of the 2/2nd Mounted Division

9th February

The observation post for hostile aircraft was transferred to Kings Lynn.

20th February

The hostile aircraft Observation Post. was moved to East Winch

21st February

At 0815, there was an Emergency Force parade with trenches manned by the Regiment on the East bank of the River Ouse. Brigade Emergency Parade. With the Regiment takes up its allotted position

25th February

A draft of sixty men was received from the 3/1st Berkshire Yeomanry.

29th February

At Kings Lynn there was another emergency Force Parade at 1050, this was an alarm parade.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

It's lovely to see that my research, mainly through our local papers is correct regarding dates etc. of course I could mention so much more but then nobody would want to buy the book I'm writing on Dereham during the Great War. it'll take me a couple of more years yet but it's beginning to take shape nicely.

thanks and take care, Kitty

• 4 years later...
On 15/12/2014 at 17:21, colinalsbury said:

For interest I transcribe below the War Diary of the 2/1 Derbyshire Yeomanry covering Nov 1915 to Feb 1916

November 1915

East Dereham 16.11.15 11.30pm

Fire at Hobbies Limited, East Dereham

The men of this Regiment who are receiving instruction in Fire Drill turned out on the 'Alarm' sounding & rendered valuable assistance to the Local Fire Brigade.

The Squadron on 'Fire Duty' for the week was also present forming a Cordon round the burning building.

23.11.15 / 24.11.15

Captain Loasby - Divisional instuctor in Trench Fighting - visited the Regiment on these dates. his Lectures and Practical demonstrations proved to be of great interest & most instructive.

for the Remainder of the month work was carried on as per programme.

December 1915

Dereham

Dec 17th midday

OBSERVATION PIQUET

The duties of this piquet were handed over to the 4TH PROVISIONAL BATTALION and a receipt for all documents and instructions obtained from Lieut. Leeper, Officer I/Charge

Dec 22nd 11am

EMERGENCY FORCE PARADE

The whole Regiment paraded in full marching order and was inspected by the G.O.C. in the Field opposite Quebec Hall, East Dereham

Dec 24th 10.30am

FIRE AT CURRY'S, NORWICH ROAD, EAST DEREHAM

This fire occurred on the morning of the 24th instant , at a confectioner's shop, but it was not very serious and was soon brought under control. the Regimental Fire Party assisted in putting the fire out.

Dec 26th 12.30pm

GERMAN CAR

Information was received from Brigade headquarters that a Daimler Car bearing no number but letters V W had been seen coming in the direction of CAWSTON, the passengers in same stating that they were Registered Germans. A Careful look out was kept and a list of cars taken. the car in question, however, did not reach Dereham.

January 1916

East Dereham

23rd Jany 5pm

A Balloon carrying 1. Officer and 6. men descended on the outskirts of Dereham at 5.p.m. on the 23rd, January, 1916. Investigations were made and the balloon and crew found to belong to the R.N.A.S.

27th Jany 10.15a.m.

the Regiment paraded in Emergency Force Order for inspection by the C.O. on this date.

February 1916

NIL

I've been searching for this either in a book or online for a couple of years so far but can't find it anywhere. Can someone please tell me either where I can find it online or buy it in book form.

thanks and take care, Kitty