Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bristol Trench

Darruss

hi, i hope someone can help, i am researching the last known location of Pte Thomas Hawley who served with the 2nd battalion the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, he died on the 12/03/15 in the battle of Neuve Chapelle.

i have the regiment war diary and there is a mention of a trench called Bristol trench, i have searched all the maps i can access including the Linesman series of great war digital, i cannot find Bristol trench.

dar.

thanks Mike but none of the listed are in the right area, the nearest would be at Aubers but as my man was there in march and Aubers wasnt taken untill much later i doubt it was that one. it is referenced as being in the rear, the Warwickshires jumping off point was North East of the moated Grange Farm and North West of Capigney farm.

In the thread referred to by Skipman, Bristol Trench in front of le Gheer (28SW4U21d) and enemy gunfire from Birdcage (le Pelerin) 28SW4U21b,22c would give its approximate position at 28SW4U21d,22c

Eddie

In the thread referred to by Skipman, Bristol Trench in front of le Gheer (28SW4U21d) and enemy gunfire from Birdcage (le Pelerin) 28SW4U21b,22c would give its approximate position at 28SW4U21d,22c

Eddie

thanks Edward but according to that thread Bristol trench was built by the Gloucesters in May 1915 two months after the Neuve Chappel battle.

dar