Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1900's British Navy Uniforms help

duece

Hello all,

I am trying to find out more on British Naval Uniforms from the period 1900's, I would like to know what kind of Naval uniform paterns would be issued to a sailor from 1910 till 1914?

I have uploaded a family photograph and would like to know what exact uniform the wedded sailor is wearing and what exact rank he is?

I am researching my ancestor PHILLIPS, Owen, Able Seaman, 217302 whom was killed onboard H.M.S. Bulwark 1914.

Any help is much apriciated.

Cheers,

Dre

Naval_Wedding.jpg

There are images on the National Maritime Museum site http://www.rmg.org.uk (may be ac.uk). You'll need to use the search facility.

It looks to me like he is wearing tropical uniform. I'm sure the usual convention is to wear the blue No 1 uniform (like the others in the picture) but with white tapes. I cannot see an anchor above the two stripes on his left arm so I assume he must be an Able Rate. I'm certain the two stripes indicate 8 years mans time service.

Chris.

The chevrons are Good Conduct Badges for 8+ years service. Two years VG conduct was required before the award of each badge at 3 and a subsequent 5 years' service. I agree able rate but branch badges are not visible on the right arm. Nevertheless, able seaman according to OP and wearing summer white duck uniform.

Thank you all very much for your information, his service record is dated from 1904 so judging from the uniform and badges and the rank my ancestor held, this could we'll be him....

Kindest regards,

Dre

He enlisted in 1901 and the earliest date he could have put up a second GCB would be on his 26th birthday, 5 November 1910. The photo must be after that date (summer 1911?)

Readers will note that RN GCB awards differed substantially from the army. Royal Marines surprisingly followed the army rules, as did the RFC and early RAF.

I am pretty sure the RMLI/RMA conditions of award for GCBs were the same as RN: after 3, 8 and 13 years service. It is unlikely the Admiralty would have had different conditions within the Naval service.

No. This from my MHS article on GCBs.

King’s Regulations and Admiralty Instructions of 1913, for example, published very similar conditions to the army ones except that the periods were 2, 6, 12, 18, 23 and 28 years with the customary possibly of acceleration by two years for the last three. In contrast to the army, the 1d per badge was retained by the Royal Marines. The award of GCBs to Royal Marines did not change until 1920 by Order in Council and this from their own [army] system to the Royal Navy's. Back-dated to Feb 1919 it put up badge pay to 3d per badge for the first three, with the next three badges not drawing pay but honorary.

He enlisted in 1901 and the earliest date he could have put up a second GCB would be on his 26th birthday, 5 November 1910. The photo must be after that date (summer 1911?)

Horatio2 thank you for your correction on date of enlistment, I looked at the first entry of his Subrating dates.

You mentioned the following;Two years VG conduct was required before the award of each badge at 3 and a subsequent 5 years' service.

I looked this up in Owen his record an can see 11 V.G. entries and 3 Good entries of which one is noted 4 of cells, I presume that means the ships Jail on reason of punishment?

I only just learned that Owen married on 03 Sep 1910, so this is only just off the date you mentioned concerning the GCB.

Is there a possibility he received the badge earlier?

Once again thank you all for your help and information.

Dre

Edited by Dre

• 3 years later...
On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 16:18, duece said:

Hello all,

I am trying to find out more on British Naval Uniforms from the period 1900's, I would like to know what kind of Naval uniform paterns would be issued to a sailor from 1910 till 1914?

I have uploaded a family photograph and would like to know what exact uniform the wedded sailor is wearing and what exact rank he is?

I am researching my ancestor PHILLIPS, Owen, Able Seaman, 217302 whom was killed onboard H.M.S. Bulwark 1914.

Any help is much apriciated.

Cheers,

Dre

Naval_Wedding.jpg

Hi Dre

I am not 100% sure but I think my wife's grandmother was Owen Phillips sister.

Regards

Gaz