Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte James Clifton Pile Royal Fusiliers and Field Ambulance?

MrG

I wonder of anyone could give me a hand to decipher the attached Medal Roll extract. It seems my man had a very active service??

Many Thanks

post-39488-0-97039800-1418553247_thumb.j

I would suspect that he was hospitalised and these periods have been shown on the medal roll (some seem to show every movement made by a man whereas others show very little).

Craig

If he had been transferred to 14 Field Ambulance RAMC I would have thought that he would have been issued with a new number.

The AVL has him "attached" to 14th FA.

Does anyone know what "Vage Camp" might refer to? The "1b" has him in Italy doesn't it?

According to what I have now read 14 FA were in Italy with 5th Division for the periods noted but I can find no mention of "Vage Camp" - cant rally see what it might be a typo of??

Sorry, I thought you meant a typo of "Vage" - the 1b is right as I have confirmed that the 14th FA were in Italy.

I have found a little booklet entitled "5th Division: 13th, 15th and 15th Field Ambulances - Diary of their movements in France, Italy and Belgium 1914-1919" which is very detailed and a fascinating read but does not mention anywhere names "Vages" or similar. I, guessing is was a local name for one of the camps near Busiago (which is where the 14th FA were Christmas 1917)

It is truly amazing what you can find if you ask Mr Google nicely!!