Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Suffolks 1915

Jim Hastings

Dear All

Would greatly appreciate it if any GWF pal that has the 7th Suffolk's' war diary for the 1915 period could let me know how detailed it is please? I'm thinking of obtaining it from TNA for some research I am doing for school into the poet Charles Hamilton Sorley, but would like some idea of how much info is contained - just from looking at the Royal Sussex war diaries I know some are quite detailed whereas others are very 'short and sweet'

Thanks for any help

Best wishes

Jim

C H Sorley is commemorated on the War memorial at Great St Mary's Church in Cambridge, where his father, Prof W R Sorley, was a Don at King's College.

Incidentally one of Sorley's poems, "Expectans expectavi" was set to music by Charles Wood, the Professor of Music at Cambridge. The name of Wood's son Patrick appears on the same war memorial.

Ron

Thank you so much Ron

I wonder if Prof's Sorley and Wood found some solace in the music, sharing the loss of their sons

Thanks again

Jim

Jim,

As an example, these are the pages which cover the 13 October 1915.

7Suffolk19151010.jpg

7Suffolk19151013.jpg

From looking at a rough sampling, they seem to be quite detailed and easy to read.

Mark

Evening Mark

Wonderful! Thank you so much for looking them up and posting the sample for me, especially of that day, really appreciate it. I'll get a copy from TNA and have a good read, see what I can glean.

Really appreciate you taking the time and effort for me.

Looks like these will be a great resource

All the best

Jim