Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Naval officers of World War I"

seaJane

I echo that, H2. Does this have to do with the painting of senior naval officers of the Great War, brought together in an imagined scene that includes the late Kit Cradock?

Does this have to do with the painting of senior naval officers of the Great War, brought together in an imagined scene that includes the late Kit Cradock?

By the way.....

The Army version was known as 'Still Life, with Boots'

What was this one known as?

I'm losing count of the number of times I've told people that the Oxford DNB is available in Britain via home computer fron your local library website if you type in your library card number ...

I'm losing count of the number of times I've told people that the Oxford DNB is available in Britain via home computer fron your local library website if you type in your library card number ...

And for those of us from other time zones?.................................

Could I borrow your library card number? Not all of us are clever enough to be professional librarians :closedeyes: and live near, or work in a library. I really do not wish to drive a 22 mile round trip to see if the OP is of any interest.

It's not particularly illuminating (I had a read of it a year ago before it was submitted and helped the author identify who was actually who in the painting) - the one point of real interest to my mind is that Admiral of the Fleet "Jacky" Fisher expressed a wish to not be portrayed in the group, which is interesting as his son retained in his papers a number of public criticisms that Fisher hadn't been included.

Fisher expressed a wish to not be portrayed in the group

Perhaps this was in keeping with his then views - Fisher died in July 1920 and per Bacon's biography his last wishes (actually written before the first of his last three operations) were

'No mourning, no flowers, and the nearest cemetery.'

It's worth noting that for some reason the NPG had already taken the painting down before Remembrance Day, after being on display for less than six months for the first time in decades. That they haven't made space for it alongside the Generals and Statesmen portraits is very sad. Naval Officers aren't worthy enough apparently.