The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergt. John W. Ormsby, VC, MM

P. J. Clarke

Looking forward

for information about this soldier whose father was from Co. Mayo. J. W. was born in Dewsbury, Yorkshire.

Have you tried googling him? Most VC winners have a fair bit posted online. There will also be likely to be a few threads on this forum. Otherwise if you have specific questions not answered by this the forum may be able to help.

Kind regards

Colin

First landed as a Lance Corporal,number 3/1836, in France on 11.11.1914 in a replacement draft for 2 Battalion KOYLI ( 13 Infantry Brigade of 5 Division).

Said to have also fought in 2nd Boer War with that Battalion but no entry seen as yet for his campaign medals there.

VC won in April 1917 at Favet,France,where he led troops under machine gun fire to clear the village and then moved further forward,clearing snipers as he went,established a position well forward,and held it until relieved later.

No MM citation seen yet.

Discharged to Class Z Reserve on 16 April 1919.

Died around 1952,buried in Yorkshire.

Looking forward

for information about this soldier whose father was from Co. Mayo. J. W. was born in Dewsbury, Yorkshire.

He still has family descendants living in Dewsbury, GWF member Geoff Greensmith is one of them, I have a lot of information on his life.

if you let me have an e-mail address by PM I will send you what I have.

Photo of his headstone in Dewsbury Cemetery and a small photo of his original VC which I was privileged to hold

post-7183-0-25493500-1418427470_thumb.jp

post-7183-0-74697800-1418427478_thumb.jp