Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Courcelette september 1916

amblevem

@ Ralph : Many, many thanks for this precious informations and the time you took to scan the pages. I learned a lot.

@ to all others : thanks for informations and responses.

Another information that I forgot to give is that Christian Delges was in the Third company of IR 26.

After a quick reading of the scanned pages, It's very probably that he died in Hessian trench (Hessengraben) under heavy "Trommelfeuer (I don't know the exact translation in english, drumfire?)".

In the casualties lists a lot of soldiers of the third company of IR 26 have the status "missing".

I became too informations from Steve N. from Victoria, B.C., scanned pages and map from

"British Official History of the War Military Operations: France & Belgium 1916 Vol. 2 page 398 footnote 1.

From: The Somme: The Day by Day Account by Chris McCarthy (1993)

Description 1st Canadian Division attack page 119

Excellent map page 120"

I don't know how I can join attachments in this thread. If someone is interested in it and gives me his e-mail adress, I'll send him the scanned pages.

My e-mail adress is amblevem@gmail.com

I have a last question : Is it possible to know the recruits depots of the Rheinland or show me a link where I can find it?

Thx

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I've one more question concerning Delges Christian.

In the German "Verlustlisten" he is mentionned two times :

The 25.10.1916 he is mentionned as "missing"

And the 19.08.1918 he is mentionned as "killed"

Does It say that his body was found and identified?

How a soldier was declared "killed"?

As he was declared as killed, normally there should exist somewhere a grave whith his name, am I right?

Hi,
I've one more question concerning Delges Christian.
In the German "Verlustlisten" he is mentionned two times :
The 25.10.1916 he is mentionned as "missing"
And the 19.08.1918 he is mentionned as "killed"
Does It say that his body was found and identified?
How a soldier was declared "killed"?
As he was declared as killed, normally there should exist somewhere a grave whith his name, am I right?

It says he was originally reported missing (I am not sure what the 'gem.' abbreviation part signifies), but was killed 26 September 1916. He has no grave listed in Volksbund nor in Weltkriegsopfer, so if had a known grave then, it has been lost since. It could be that someone witnessed his death, but that information was not available at the time of his initial appearance in the VLs.

-Daniel

• 9 months later...

Hi,

On April I was in Courcelette, I'll posted later some photos if someone is interested in it.

I need again your help.
I found two photos. One is signed by Christian Delges (Signature Chrest).
post-117198-0-84883100-1447344544_thumb.
On the picture There are 3 soldiers in a plane, but I'm not sure who is Christian (maybe the first on the left?).
The second picture I found (I found it on the same place, in the house where the sister of Christian lived), it was said to me that could be Christian too.
But I see not a really ressemblance between the soldier on this photo and one of the soldiers in the plane (normally one of them must be Christian, or not?).
Can you recognize a same soldier on the two photos?
I have some questions :
Are there elements (uniform, stamps, text, ...) that can help on this photos?
There is a stamp from the 14th July 1916 and the town of Eschweiler (near of Aachen) on the Felpost card; I think he was not in IR 26 on this date. What do you mean?
Can someone help to find out to whom the card was sent? I can read "Feldpost an Frau ... Delges in Recht Kreis Malmedy" Can someone read the name in front of Delges?