Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

would regimental number in Worcesters identify what regiment?

euansma

Hi I have a Herbert Kitchener Hodges born 1899 who received British war medal and Victory medal, but not the star medals which implies he was not in France or Flanders by December 31st 1915 , but was involved after that date. As he was born in 1899 he may not have been involved till near the end of the war. He was first in the 2nd Devon Regiment then in Worcesters reg number 70646. Could that regimental number identify which batallion he was in and help to identify his theatre of war? Thanks for any help. Euansma.

The regimental number is unlikely to identify the battalion directly (though someone may be able to give you an estimate of when he transferred from the number), but the medal rolls (as distinct from the index cards) which are now on Ancestry should show battalions

The medal roll only gives :

Pte. in 2nd Devons No. 8/18306 - then Pte. No.70646 in the Worcesters - no dates, nothing else.

Same as what you already have on the medal card I presume?

BillyH.

There's Victor George Hutt (70647) who enlisted at Devizes in June 1917 into the 35th Battalion Training Reserve having transferred from the Wiltshires. He ended up in the 2/8th Battalion.

And in the Silver War Badge records Frank Edward Terry (70648) enlisted on 4th June 1917, but his medal card and roll don't give the battalion.

Mike

Thanks for that, yes very frustrating there is no more information. Think that as he was born in 1899 he probably did join up around 1917 but where he was posted no idea. Have not had much luck recently with medal roll cards and have not enquired with the regiments as I'm not sure how much more information they will have. Anyway thanks for your input. Euansma.