Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Records

Testerchild2

Hi All,

At the risk of opening a can of worms, although that is not my intention, can anyone list the type and nature of still surviving German documents providing records of their air activities on the Western Front in WW1. German and English titles would be appreciated, but more important than an English translation of the titles would be an idea of the type of information contained in them - e.g. whether a weekly or monthly summary, claims and losses, the army area and dates covered, Jasta and F.A. war diaries, personal diaries and so on. This so I can get a list of them for future investigation.

Many thanks

Bob

Bob,

Most of the Bavarian units their information has survived and can be found at the Kriegsarchiv in Munich. Also lots of photos !
They also have a lot of other information from the different German Armies and the air service working for them. This in various ways. Among them the Tätigkeitsberichte, but also the Kofl, etc.
Also smaller parts in the Freiburg archives, with most ot the material on the naval units. Also a mixture of the other previous mentioned items of Munich, victory lists, units belonging to which army group etc.

Best regards,

Johan

Hi Johan,

So I'll have to go to Germany? Oh dear, that won't be for while. But thanks, I'll note the locations and files on my list.

Best wishes,

Bob

Bob,

If you need more information on the location, contacts etc just let me know !

Best regards,

Johan