Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

identification of finds

philgb

18 pdr shrapnel shell - fired. (In my opinion.) I have one just like it. Full of mud when found and hosed out.)

The cartridge case (correct term) is a 7.92mm German, also known as 8X57 Mauser. It has been fired.

Even blackpowder becomes more sensetive after all these years.

One thing I've learned in the past 20 years; If you don't know it, leave it!

Black powder is hygroscopic and so if exposed to the atmosphere will become less likely to burn.

However I endorse and concur with your second point.

Hi all,

Unfortunately as this is my day job I feel obliged to commet somewhat. Black powder is 1.1 L in Hazard Division and Compatability Group. 1.1 indicates that in an event it will Mass Explode causing fragmentation of it's container that can travel at a high velocity for a long range. More important is the Compatability Group L, this indicates an explosive that requires special handling due to its dangerous nature and that it cannot be stored or transported with any other nature.

Black Powder (Gun Powder) is impact sensitive, friction sensitive, heat sensitive and static sensitive! Although it is hygroscopic, it does revert when dried out, any interaction with it is at best dangerous at worst suicidal.

I have spent 35 years dealing with people who interfere with ammunition with little or no idea of what they are doing. I have also had to deal with the aftermath on too many occasions when the 'good idea' went wrong. I know this forum is populated by intelligent people who would not just wander around trying to win a Darwin Award, so I expect that the random collection of ammunition would not take place, even worse the collection of items you can't identify is definately award territory.

I pass on information with only the best intentions in mind, and would hate to prevent good people enjoying themselves, but the consequences of getting it wrong are severe. I hope that everyone just follows the basic rule of don't touch ammunition, leave it where it is. It has been happy there for the last 100 years and will continue to be. It is the addition of something new, (often in the shape of an idiot) which upsets things and when ammunition is upset and loses it's stability - BAD THINGS HAPPEN!

All the best to everyone during this festive season, I hope you all have a good time and a safe and prosperous New Year.

Rod