Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please tracing these men

dobbin

I am trying to find details of any of the men named on the list. Before I start looking through records as there are quite a few does anyone know anything about these men please.

As you can see I have posted a picture of the original list written by an officer in an album which I have just discovered. I have photos of most or all of them and it would be useful to find their successors to see if they would like the photographs of their relatives.

Colin

post-20087-0-58393300-1418237015_thumb.j

might be worth looking on the MICs / London gazette - someone like cheesemong with a MC shouldnt be too hard

To start the ball rolling, the connection is that they appear to be all 4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers (at least the casualties are).

L. C. P. Scaife is Leicester Cecil Peregrine Scaife

LEES was Frank Priestman Lees 2nd Lt. k.i.a. 17.6.1916, buried La Laiterie Cem., Kemmel, Belgium

HENDERSON was John Thomas Henderson Capt. k.i.a. 15.9.1916, buried Adanac Mil. Cem., Miraumont, Somme

JACK was John Angus Bagnall 2nd Lt. k.i.a. 15.9.1916, buried Adanac Mil. Cem.

DAVID was David Thompson Turner Capt. k.i.a. 30.5.1918, buried Chambrecy Mil. Cem.

WILFIE was John Wilfred Robinson Capt. k.i.a. 15.11.1916, commemorated Thiepval Mem.

LUND was Tom Clough Lund Lt. k.i.a. 23.3.1918, commemorated Pozieries Mem.

ALLEN was Robert Allen Capt. prisoner 27.5.1918 repatriated 25.12.1918

CLIVE was Clive Montague Jolcey Lt and Temp. Capt. k.i.a 5.6.1917, buried Browns Copse Cem., Roeux

PLUMMER was Lionel Davey Plummer Capt. k.i.a. 15.9.1916, buried Adanac Mil. Cem.

Thank you all for that I am going to do an Ancestry search to look at Trees to see if I can contact anyone with those names on their Tree to see if they would welcome a photograph as I have pictures of them all. I am going to dig into those links you have mentioned and yes I have looked at the 4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Much appreciated for your replies I will post again the photos of these men should anyone on this page be interested please ask. Co!in.

• 11 months later...

I am trying to find details of any of the men named on the list. Before I start looking through records as there are quite a few does anyone know anything about these men please.

As you can see I have posted a picture of the original list written by an officer in an album which I have just discovered. I have photos of most or all of them and it would be useful to find their successors to see if they would like the photographs of their relatives.

Colin

Hi, Robert Henderson S/40316 1st Bn Black Watch is my Great Uncle, he was killed in action on 25 September 1916 during an attack down Flers trench in support of an attack on Goose Alley. If you have a photo of Robbie I would be very grateful, as at the moment I don't have one at all. Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g3lzcmy3cfyqs24/AABD6QY-VEtD2mw9H5ODNrlKa?dl=0

Stuart I have selected pictures where Henderson appears if you look at them carefully you can see him on each of these 3 pictures. These pictures have been kept and hardly looked at for years and bearing in mind the conditions under which they were taken and the cameras of the time and the time elapsing it's pretty good we can still see them. Here is a link to The website we are working on re Lt Scaife who took them.

http://lcp-scaife-mbe-memoirs.info/

Stuart I would be glad to know about your Great Uncle. Lt. Scaife's daughter is still alive and it was her wish that I made these photos available so that others may see their family members killed in the war. The lady would be very pleased to hear about your research so if you can please PM me. Colin.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've just started looking into the lives of my grandfather and great uncle and was happy to see your post.  My great uncle was Frank Priestman Lees of the Northumberland Fusiliers who is on your list.  I would love to see the photo or photos which you have of him. As far as I am aware the family has no photograph at all of Frank.

I am currently transcribing the diary of my grandfather Herbert Douglas Lees, who served as 2nd Lieut, then Lieut in the 2nd and then 1st Border Regiment between 1916 and 1918, so I have a lot of information about him (as he survived to record this journal), but nothing about his brother Frank.  Any information you have to get me started, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I am not sure why the original poster does not appear as I can see all I have posted and if you go to the link above directing you to the Scaife website all the pictures should appear on that site. I will check the site out to see all is functioning correctly. If you still can't find the pictures I will look again at the originals and try to help. I deliberately put all photos on the site along with the listing of men made by Lt Scaife who took all the pictures. I think most or all of the names he put in his photo album  are also listed under the appropriate photograph of that man. 

Please ask if you are not able to find what you are looking for. Sorry for any delay but I had difficulty at first understanding Ralph's question to me and could not find my previous post. As I explained I have been inactive on the site for a time due to personal reasons and I am at present a bit at sea navigating my way around the new format. C

http://lcp-scaife-mbe-memoirs.info/

• 2 months later...

First of all, my apologies for not replying to your post earlier. I had thought I would get an email notification if someone replied to my post, and as nothing arrived I haven't checked back on this site until now. I'm not familiar with how these things work, sorry.

Secondly, thanks for your reply. The site you mention was fascinating. It was really interesting to see not just the pictures, but also Leicester Scaife's description of his time enlisting in Hexham (where I live), and which would have been Frank's experience too.

As I think I said in my earlier post, I am transcribing my grandfather's ww1 diary (2nd Lieut Herbert Lees, 2nd then 1st Border Regiment) and also summarising the movements of his brother Frank Lees using the official diary of the 4th Northumberland Fusiliers. I hope to make this into a small publication, just for Herbert's grandchildren. The original diary is now deposited at the Northumberland Archive at Woodhorn (and I would be happy to share my transcription with anyone who is interested).

I wonder whether you would be happy for me to include in the publication some extracts from Leicester's memoir relating to his time enlisting and travelling, to give some background to Frank's story, and also some of the photographs which show Frank?  Most of the photos are part of a whole album page, and so I also wonder if any of them could be made available as single images? I would entirely understand if this is asking a bit much, but 'shy bairns get nowt' as they say up here!

Many thanks.

Hello Andy don't worry about the delay I haven't been so active on the Forum lately although I have my box ticked to receive e mails. 

I may have mentioned I prepared L Scaife's details for the website for a friend his daughter she being in her 90s. I have contacted her about using her information and as soon as I get a reply I will contact you.  

Which individual photographs do you want ? I should mention I scanned whole pages as they appear on the website as I was unable to separate them from the album.,It being a bit delicate to do so due to its age. You might find scanning those yourself and separating the ones you need will be perhaps as good as I could do as I do not now have the originals they being with the owner. Any information you have would be much appreciated. 

Good luck. C. 

Hello Andy don't worry about the delay I haven't been so active on the Forum lately although I have my box ticked to receive e mails. 

I may have mentioned I prepared L Scaife's details for the website for a friend his daughter she being in her 90s. I have contacted her about using her information and as soon as I get a reply I will contact you.  

Which individual photographs do you want ? I should mention I scanned whole pages as they appear on the website as I was unable to separate them from the album.,It being a bit delicate to do so due to its age. You might find scanning those yourself and separating the ones you need will be perhaps as good as I could do as I do not now have the originals they being with the owner. Any information you have would be much appreciated. 

Good luck. C. 

Hello C. I would be interested in any of the photos which have the name LEES next to them please. I'm sure I can crop the whole pages down to the image I need. Are the images on the website at their full resolution or do you have higher resolution versions on your computer? 

I'm afraid I have very little further information about Frank himself. He is remembered on the war memorial here in Hexham, and I have the extracts from the official war diary of the 4th NF. I am expecting a scan of a photograph of him from the archive in the new year which I can share if you are interested. It is an off duty pose.

I have much more information about Herbert (his brother) who served in the Border Regiment. I am attaching a copy of my transcription of Herbert's diary in case it might be of interest. Again, in the new year, I am expecting scans of the press cuttings and photographs which accompany this transcription.

Thanks 

Andy

Herbert Douglas Lees diary transcription.pdf